iWork or MSoffice, Which is better?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wildthing1994, Apr 25, 2007.

?

Whats better iWork or MS office?

Poll closed May 1, 2007.
  1. iWork?

42.6%
  2. Microsoft Office?

57.4%
  1. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

iWork or MSoffice, Which is better? In your oppinion.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depends on your needs and uses.
    for many people they prefer Office: Mac
    but a lot of people like and use iWork since it fulfills their needs.
    and there is always NeoOffice as well.

like i said, all depends on what you need it for. i personally prefer Office: Mac

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I use both, Pages for quicker notes and easier access and Office for more serious work that I need to share with people (I know I can export .doc in pages but I prefer just to write it in word all at once.

However, Keynote totally beats the hell out of powerpoint. Period.

4. akadmon macrumors 68020

I don't know anything about iWork, other that it doesn't have a spreadsheet. And even if it did, Excel is THE spreadsheet -- no need to bother with anything else.

5. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

We will see if that stands after iWork '07 :rolleyes:

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How so? I have used both and keynote is better but not a crapload better by anymeans.

anyways, office takes the cake for me and im personally more excited about office 08 than possibly even leopard

the office suite is what i rely on for work and until ilife has an equally powerful spreadsheet fully compatible with excel, no way am i thinking about switching

7. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I came to Apple to avoid Microshaft !

NeoOffice does everything office ever did and it is open software.

MS is a disease not an app!

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I've been using iWork since it's first release. I don't use Keynote all that often (never used Powerpoint either), but Pages has been the perfect replacement to Word for me. With it I have written various manuals, Uni papers, letters and so on. Even when I owned Word I never sent a .doc file via email (don't want to harbour any virus) and so would convert to pdf. I do the same with Pages which converts to pdf without a problem.

If someone sends me a Word document it's usually somebody I don't know so I bounce it back.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Exactly.

Although now with Parallels/Boot Camp, if you have an Intel base Mac, you can use Office for Windows which is nice too.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

iwork meets my needs just right. no reason to pay more for office, which is still not yet intel-native.

11. dhracer88 macrumors regular

I prefer MS Office...but that's because I got it as a trade for some coding work. Things that irk me:

* spell check (why not use Apple's built in dictionary?)
    * slow redraw ("What do you mean 'between' is misspelled? [click] Oh! You lazy-ass bastard!") :p
    * rosetta memory hog. Really, I don't like giving up over a gig of RAM to Word and Excel (one Word file open right now, one Excel doc minimized = 1.25GB vRAM).
    * occasional psychotic window movements. I had my dock auto-hidden on the left side of my screen, but I decided to move it to the bottom while Word was still open. Apparently confused, Word endlessly jumped side-to-side in a frozen state.
    * non-docked formatting palette. Come on MS, everyone else is doing it!
    * MS font palette. Nothing like slowly scrolling through all individual fonts, not families.
    * every font MS installs.
    * styles should be tabbed!

But aside from all that, I still like it much better than it's Windows 2003 counterpart. I just wish MS would actually release useful, free updates to it, like a Universal update. 100% unlikely given the '08 update, but I can dream. I especially wish they would have rebuilt VPC, given I have a brand new copy that I can't use on my iMac. Anyone want to buy it?:D

12. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Meh, back when I just had the Powerbook, Pages scrolled better than Word did, and that was a good enough reason for me to just go with Pages.

Then again, I think the most advanced feature I ever use is indenting... which I think is done better in Pages anyways :p

Oh yeah, and Word always seems to be zoomed too far out...

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't that a good thing?

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

they are different level of apps, target totally different users, why bother compare?

15. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Dont be so Dramatic, Microsoft isn't that bad... just Vista. XP is actually pretty good(but not as good as OSX). Oh and their failed iPod rival(Zune)

I reccomend MS office because compatibility issues will be solved but it's more expensive than the windows version for no apparent reason.

16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

If iWork had an integrated easy to use equation editor (like MathType) I would use it.

Nuc

17. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I don't really like office since it's not Universal. The only time I use it is if I need Excel.

Most of the time I use Journler to type everything in a draft, then copy it to pages and print.

18. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

It really depends on what you use it for. I hear a lot of good stuff about Keynote, and Steve Jobs' keynote-presentation are a walking commercial for it. Pages seems like a good app for simple writing and simple graphical design-jobs. But if you need a simple writing-tool, there are plenty of apps out there too that do a great job, including the free Textedit.

As far as comparing Office-suites is concerned, I don't think it's fair to do so with Microsoft. For one, Office includes Entourage, which would compete with Mail and iCal then, not a part of iWork. And the Excel-app, which many would consider unparalleled. Word is definitely a class-A wordprocessor with many features Pages is missing. And Powerpoint, while maybe not as elegant as Keynote, is still a feature-rich, perfectly functional app. Of course, Intel-considerations play a part, I'm on a PPC myself, so for me Office is clearly the winner in terms of features at least.

19. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

iWork can't really compete with Office, at least in the working world. Word is much better for word processing than Pages. Keynote>Powerpoint, I will cede that, but iWork doesn't have an Excel type program that many people, including me, need badly. Outlook and Powerpoint work just fine, IMO, and are pretty nice. At least in a business environment, iWork can't compete with Office.

20. mgodfre3 macrumors newbie

iWork is a million times better!

I am a senior in college and a journalism student. So to say I write documents is an understatment. Every day I use Pages, it is open nearly as much as iTunes and iChat. And I have to say, when I first switched to my mac mini I was skeptical, I grew up with MS Word and Powerpoint, but after I gave iWork a try and got over the freakiness of no huge toolbar at the top, I feel in love with the program. I now use the suite for everything including designing fliers for my fraternity, writing my articles daily, and creating keynotes for my class presentations. It's $59 vs $150 for Office, it does all I could ever need and it has the best media integration I have ever used. Inspector is an amazing tool. I can only complain that I prefer the font selection in Word, but that ius a very small complaint. Try iWork, give it a chance and realize that one-click export to pdf, word or anything else you need is enough to set you free from Redmond's poor excuses for software.

P.S. I don't know how to use Excel, never have used it, but I welcome with open arms Steve's version of the program in iWork '07

M Godfrey Denver,CO
    Mac Mini G4 1.25, 1 Gig RAM--SOLD, Intel Mac Mini 1.5 solo, 1 GIG w 20"ACD, Macbook 1.83, 2GIG, 120g hdd, 20" iMac C2D 2.16 1GIG, AEBS-N w/wireless printer and 160 gig hdd, Airport Express, PS3-Thanks CNET, XBOX 360, Wii, 27 WestinghouseWidescreen HDTV LCD

21. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

I use Office 2004 all the time, but I really like Keynote. I don't know about Pages quite yet.

I really like the 2.1 NeoOffice release, except for the fact it's written in Java and it's horribly SLOW!

Get Office 2004 or wait for 2008. It's faster than NeoOffice (even though NeoOffice has more features [database app and drawing app]) and commercially supported. If you like iWork, wait until iWork 4 ('07) to see if it becomes more complete. That's what I think.

22. sinstoic macrumors member

iWork is not yet a complete offiice suite so you really can't compare iWork to Microsoft's Office.

23. wildthing1994 thread starter macrumors member

wildthing1994

But I did.

Does iWork do graphs? I use MS office for school. I use excel to make graphs, and Word type labs reports, but I hate it because I don't really know how to use either program very well and it drives me up a wall. I had used powerpoint to make a presentation and hated it because I couldn't use keynote on the windows computers at school.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It can do bar charts with simple data, they look good, but excel's are more customisable.

Install LaTeX, and use LaTeXiT.