iWork or Office 2008?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yaboze, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

Coming from the PC, I am more familiar with Office and have Office files, but I like the iWork demo that is installed on Leopard. I also had Office 2004 on it but I didn't like it too much.

What do you think is better overall? Can iWork read Office 2003/07 files? I haven't tried that yet. I just need to be able to send something out (like a resume) in Office format.

2. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

'm a PC switcher myself and iWork is just fine for me. Yes it can read Office files (.doc) but I believe the Office 2007 (.docx) file it can only read and not write. My hubby has a PC laptop with Office 2007 so I might try that one see how it goes.

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

What about NeoOffice?

And re docx files - I tried to open one on a Windows XP machine and couldn't, I had to download a 30MB file from the web to view it in XP, but I was able to open it in TextEdit on the Mac - go figure!

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

If you dont have any major complex excel sheets then I would definately go with Iwork. Its worth the money and I have no doubt that apple will continue on improving the features to try and keep up with office in the future.

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I find iWork to be much better than Office. It's easier to use, and plus Keynote alone is worth the price (which is low anyway). And, you can export any document you create into a file that can be read by the equivalent Office program.

iWork > MS Office. :)

6. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Office 2008 is a good job from Microsoft, but I still prefere iWork. It starts faster, and the interface is smarter.

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Unless you really need corporate compatibility, I second this.

8. Yaboze thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

Yes, the thing I noticed was that iWork felt more "Mac" to me and Office felt like it was running a Windows app. I liked iWork more, but wanted to make sure it had the functionality. Thanks all.

:apple::D:apple:

9. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

10. Niko macrumors newbie

I use iwork, it is cheapest and the most efficient suite on mac. Don't waste time with the mac version of MS Office, it is pathetic. For some reason MS will not issue a good mac version of Office. If you really want windows, I would install windows then run the windows version of MS office.

11. ssj2goha macrumors newbie

Personally I Use Open Office (THIS)

It's free, Easy to use and thus far has all the features of MS office. It can open all the MS office file formats (open, edit and save actually).

I'm an apple Sales Rep and I still suggest Open office over both iWork and MS Office.

12. DaveF macrumors 6502a

What do you need? What's your budget?

If you need Office, get Office. If you must read and write Office-compatible files, share with other Office users, etc., then that seems the best way to go.

If you're an experienced Office user and don't want to learn new programs, staying with Office will likely be easier than switching to iWork.

If you need the features and power of Office, stay with it. There are things iWork just doesn't do -- particularly in Numbers.

If you have more modest needs, iWork is a good package.

If you have a tight budget, and every dollar counts, iWork is half the cost of Office.

If you just want a different set of software for doing Office-type things, iWork is a fun solution.

I'm a pretty savvy Office user; it's a regular tool at work. But at home, I've bought iWork 08 and am switching wholly to it. (I've got Office 2004 installed, just in case). iWork is a mixed bag. Keynote is amazing. Numbers's core concept is good and I can do what I need in it. But it's clearly a first effort and lacks many handy details from Excel. Pages, I've not used yet except to look at a few Word documents.

As a home user, interested in saving money, not doing serious office work, iWork is a good choice.

13. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

I second that...Office crashes and iWork doesn't :D

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

As long as you're not in need for complex Excel functions, or extreme formatting compatibility with Word, iWork massacres Office 08.

15. @home macrumors member

I have Office 08 & It's never crashed yet.

I'm not bashing iwork, Tried it didn't like it for various reasons.

But Office 08 is ok in my book..no crashes ~ loads in 7 to 8 Secs.

Have fun with w/e you prefer

16. kellah macrumors regular

I prefer MS Office. NeoOffice is slow in my opinion. It also lacks full support for equations in .doc files, which is important to me. I have only played around with iWork a little bit. I think I'll probably be sticking with what's pretty standard at any company.

17. akadmon macrumors 68010

Who doesn't? :confused:

18. henry.oswald macrumors member

I do quite like numbers, for me its more useful than excel.

Burt pages is a bag of poo, its missing alot
    word is the real deal

keynote is good and all but the projectors at my uni don't work with mac, so power point or nothing.:mad:

im sure everyone will disagree :rolleyes:

19. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I'm sure iWork is an excellent app for home users, students, teachers, small business owners, novices, etc. However, I need 100% Office compatibility, and it has to be seamless, so I'm stuck using Office 2008. It's not a bad application sans a few bugs here and there that MS should hopefully fix soon.

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Hmmm... I just installed Office 2008 the other day so I'm not very familiar with it yet, but I also run iWork. I like to do short essays, etc in Pages possibly because the interface is pretty simple, with word I see too many buttons - so really, just an aesthetic feeling. However, my big beef with Pages is that the formatting and grammar checker are just nowhere near Word yet. Of course, when you are writing something longer it is hard to pick up on little things like that, hence Word is what I use for longer pieces.

I have not had 100% success with export from Pages to Word. For very basic documents, it's ok but if you have something with images, formatted headers, footnotes, etc. forget it. Too many little errors.

Keynote, on the other hand is the dogs boll#$%s! I've loved that program since day 1. It's very simple, powerful, and produces fantastic looking presentations... unless you have to export them to ppt. It's not that the exports are particularly buggy, powerpoint just makes them a bit ugly.

No idea about excel / numbers. I only use excel to calculate final grades!

I'd say, if possible, opt for both! iWork can be bought on ebay for under $50 so it's not like it is going to bust the bank the way Office might.

21. MacDude415 macrumors member

MacDude415

I used Office for my whole life (all on mac's) and it was always good, but I used Pages now ever since I bought my MacBook, I like it a lot better. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure why, I just do.

22. one1 macrumors 65816

iWork is more intelligent in design, and I'm not saying that just because it is Mac software. There are certain complications you'll run into if you base your work solely off of iWork, but if you don't have to constantly swap over to systems that run office and some extended features that are native of office you will be fine.

I'd suggest buying Iwork '08 (or '06), and copping an office' 04 disk off ebay for cheap as a backup since apparently the office '08 had no new integrated features over '04.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think both packages are good, but there are a few factors which determine exactly which one you should go with:

1) File sharing frequency. If you need to share (and by that I mean have others edit) your files, Office is simply worth it. There's no sense in cheating yourself out of consistency.

2) Your primary products. If you produce just text documents and don't need to have others edit them, you can go for whichever app you find the best.

3) Special projects. If you do "special" things like produce fliers, brochures, etc, on a semi-frequent basis, I can't recommend Pages enough. Pages is just lovely for templates, and I can't imagine fumbling around with that in Word (and I've tried! :p).

24. EngBrian macrumors regular

I really like the look and feel of iwork. But as others have mentioned if you need to do complex work in spreadsheets then you have to go with office. As an engineer I can't get a lot of things done in iwork and have to resort to office. But numbers is in its infancy and I am sure it will grow in capabilities as the years go on.

25. DaveF macrumors 6502a

People not doing office-work at home. I don't bring professional work home to my personal computer. So, I don't need MS Office compatibility at home and am switching to iWork for personal use. My only concern is future compatibility of these files -- what happens to my files in five years?