iWork or Office, and iDisk help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chukwithak, Nov 16, 2008.

1. chukwithak macrumors member

Which is better for a student, degree will be EE and CS.

iWork or office 2008?

Also are there any tutorials or good info sites on iDisk?

2. matt1219 macrumors regular

I would say iWork. Keynote is better because of the different themes and etc. , and moving to DVD, Youtube, or iPod and Voiceovers are easier. Unless you want messenger, iWork is the way to go. It's also $70 cheaper.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you need reference management software (e.g., Endnote) then Word is, unfortunately, the way to go. Same if you need stats paks - Excel is better. Personally, I use InStat for my statistical analyses.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would use iWork because it's cheaper and much simpler. If you are used to Office, it might take some time get used to. For iDisk, just check out Apple's Knowledge Base. Or just use it, and ask questions on this forum when you're in need of help.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

If you are doing anything that will require a spreadsheet you really should get office. iWork has Numbers, but Numbers holds nothing to Excel as things stand right now. Keynote is a very good presentation application, but if your prof gives you notes in powerpoint format you may run into formatting issues when opening the files in Keynote. Finally Notes is a good word processor, but if you need advanced formatting and functionality (such as the ability to enter formulas) you should really be considering Word.

6. SimiM macrumors newbie

I find that iwork for me doesn't transfer well to office 07.

7. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I use office. I like it, and the apple store lady said that it would be better because of compatibility.

I don't use iDisk, but if 2GB is all you need, DropBox is a good alternative.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

9. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I would go with iWork. iWork is a lot easier to use than Office and Office was actually made for Windows, but the Windows version is a lot better than the Mac version. It is also a lot cheaper and Keynote, in my opinion, is better than PowerPoint. Pages is getting closer to Word and will eventually be a lot better than it. In Office, you pay 149 for Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Entourage (I find Entourage useless). For iWork, you pay 79 for Pages, Keynote and Numbers.
    Hope this helps

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I use Office for Mac, as the world I work in uses Word - and most of the wor world uses Word, too. iWork is very good if you use only your Mac, and if you do not need to interact with material from other computers. In college, it is likely that you will have to be able to access MS material, and you might have difficulty doing that with iWork. Some people use both.

Cheers and good luck