iWork or Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chtrho51, Dec 20, 2007.

1. chtrho51 macrumors newbie

I am considering getting a mac. What should I put on it? iWork or Office?

Which one do you guys prefer?

(I did a search, didn't find much)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

iWork is awesome, and NeoOffice is a great complement when you need more, or better compatibility :)

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I currently have Office 2004 at home on my MB, but I am getting a new iMac 24" at the office and expect to go with iWork (and NeoOffice if needed). I really don't do very much with office apps, so I guess we'll see. The only reason that I might get it is for Entourage and Exchange connectivity, just to simplify things. We are pretty much an all-Windows shop at work, so it may make the transition easier.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well here I am to spoil the fun...:p

I like Office. There, I said it. NeoOffice is OK, but not as "clean" as Office 04 (I have no idea how the ribbon will look in Office 08).

Frankly, if I was spending the money (which I'm sure you are OP) then I'd rather get Office 04. With the special upgrade Microsoft is offering, you'll get a real sweet deal on Office 08 too (I think it's something like $10).

5. dazed macrumors 6502a

I like office, and just like others have said, the free upgrade to 2008 is a tempting offer.

If you are getting your mac soon i'm sure there will be 30 day trials of both office and iwork on there so just give them a test drive.

I think the cut off point for the free upgrade is jan 14th so just buy office before then if you decide you like it :)

6. hogmog macrumors member

Depends what you want to do with it

I think you should ask yourself what you are going to do with Office. If you are going to be doing a lot of writing, involving equations, citing sources etc then Word is almost certainly better. It is the only mainstream word processor that works with the bibliographic app EndNote for example. Exchanging files with Windows Office is also dead easy (excluding Office 2007 though). If not as clear cut as this perhaps do as another poster has suggested and use the 30 day trial of each package. For what its worth I like Office too - prefer the Mac version to Win version, particularly the floating palette which I hope is being kept in 2008.

7. JudasX macrumors newbie

i'm a student...so to interact with others and email papers to professors Office was mandatory software. I also purchased iWork and enjoy Keynote much more than powerpoint...however because 85% or more people use microsoft products it might behoove you to ere on the side of compatibility.

Just some thoughts. iWork is better because it is Apple software, but the world runs microsoft. just try out the free trials bro.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Check the site out...I've tried the beta, its not too bad, but still not as smooth as iWork...

9. Hawke macrumors regular

iWork.. but I prefer NeoOffice.. brilliant software

10. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I like NeoOffice better, iWork seems to be a good complement. This coulple of apps are by far a cheaper solution than getting Office 2008... :apple:

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

iWork is so awesome it makes my head spin. Best $79 software package ever.

12. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

From my experiences, Pages is about as good as Word, Keynote pwns Powerpoint, but Excel is waaaaay better than Numbers for anything beyond a VERY simple graph/spreadsheet.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree. only thing holding me back though is that it still does not open up doc files perfectly. however it will only get better

and excel is better for spreadsheets by far imo

14. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I use iWork '08, which is more than capable for what I want really :)

15. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, being the biased Applephile that I am, I totally suggest iWork.

Pages > Word
    Keynote > Powerpoint
    Numbers....meh....

16. acxz macrumors regular

You get trial versions of both on new Macs so you can just try them for yourself. I really like iWork 08, but Office 08 looks kinda promising too.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For what I need, Numbers>Excel

It does what I want, but opens faster than Excel and produces prettier graphs. I can see how Excel would be better for many, but over here Office pales in comparison to iWork on every front :)

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think people need to take in consideration what Numbers can do and what they really need in a spreadsheet. Numbers does everything I need in a spreadsheet, and does it much prettier, easier, and cheaper than Excel.

I can understand if heavy spreadsheet users who rely on it for lots of number crunching or something would prefer Excel. But for me (and I would imagine most average users) Numbers fits the bill perfectly and compliments Pages and Keynote well.

19. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Get Office and iWork. Word, Excel, and Keynote make a great team.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The iWork and Office cost argument is largely dependent upon whether the OP is a student. Most unis offer Office at an even lower price than iWork (sometimes as low as $10 or $20, while iWork will be the normal $39).

Just that I'd point that out incase the OP is a student. :)

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

On the other hand, students (like myself) are often happier with the fast start-up times of iWork and its simplicity, and don't need the complex features of Office (macros etc.)

And iWork is $79 btw

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It is a very subjective thing. Since the trials are on every Mac, it's worthwhile playing with both. There's no sense in getting forum members to tell you what to do! :p

That's the regular price. EDU price through Apple is $70, and most schools (and by that I mean college+) offer it through their bookstores for $39. Even my school, which barely offers discounts, has iWork for $39.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Sorry, I didn't know that and I assumed you thought iWork was normally $39 as you said "iWork will be the normal $39"

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sorry, I meant "normal for students." :eek:

25. AmigaMacmini macrumors newbie