iWork Pages bad PDF Export

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arganos0, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Arganos0 macrumors member

Guys I'm having one slight problem. I have iWork 09, and when I try to export PDF the pdf looks really bad on 100% zoom. 125% is quite OK, though still not perfect.

When I preview the document in PDF,it looks perfect. However when I export it, characters aren't inline and look weird. Who knows why this might be?

I have an iMac 2.66 ghz bought in October if that's of any use.

Thanks in advance,

Arganos

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. glenpandrews macrumors newbie

iWork Pages bad PDF Export

Hello,

Did print to PDF solve your problem? I tried that and it displays marginally better on a Windows machine, but still unprofessional. I am using Helvetica Neue Light size 9 and whilst the PDFs look fine on Mac, they look ragged on windows. Like they have been printed, faxed and then scanned in on a low res scanner.

I am using Pages09, but tested on pages08 and seems to perform the same way.

Has anyone else encourntered this problem and come up with a solution?

Cheers

Glen

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Try a different font. That one may not be imbedding into the document. I'd also be interested to know whether the PDF prints properly.

5. glenpandrews macrumors newbie

Strangely (or not? you seem to have been half expecting this?) it looks lousy on screen on a windows pc, but it prints just fine. Please let me know if that sheds any light, and I think you may be right - I may just have to switch to another font. Irritating as I like Helvetica Neue Light, I wonder if I could mandate Mac OSX to all my customers? :D

Cheers

Glen

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Unfortunately Preview can't check for embedded fonts, but Adobe Reader can. If the fonts haven't embedded you'll be dependent on the fonts resident on the computer where it is being viewed. This doesn't explain why the fonts look bad on your Mac, though. If that's what is happening, I'd recommend reinstalling that font. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

7. glenpandrews macrumors newbie

The PDFs look fine on the 7 or 8 different Macs I have tried (all have Pages 08, except me with 09), just bad on the three Windows machines I have tried.

Thanks for your comments, if I have any joy I will report back here.

Cheers

Glen

8. chrisa107 macrumors member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you ever solve this problem? Just started happening to me and I have no idea what's going on!

9. glenpandrews macrumors newbie

Sorry mate, I did not manage to solve this problem satisfactorily. What I did to all of my existing pages documents was change from the Light version of my font to the Regular version. That displays OK, but not great. I had intended to go find a new font that displayed well on Windows also, however despite making possibly 100 more pages documents since then, I have not gotten around to doing this yet. Do post back here of you do better than I did! Cheers. Glen.