iWork: Pages font problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ish, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

I have a font on my MBP called Lilith that I downloaded for free, and which I've been using for a few years now. It's a 'decorated' font that I use for making drop caps.

Recently I've been unable to access this font through Pages, and all the documents with this font in them have blank spaces where it used to be.

The font is still on the computer, and I can still use it if I use InDesign but not Pages.

Any ideas?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open /Applications/Font Book and check if there is a problem with this old font.

3. Ish thread starter macrumors 68010

Ish

I did that, thanks, there seems to be no problem there. All the letters are there, I can use it on InDesign but there's now a problem with Pages which wasn't there before. AFIK nothing has changed.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Have you updated OS X recently? What version of Pages are you using?

There are two things to do that solve a lot of problems with the iWork ’08 &/or ’09 apps in Snow Leopard.

First, use the Mac OS 10.6.7 combo updater. This fixes a problem with fonts that is not fixed using the delta update (10.6.1 > 10.6.2). Then download & run the 10.6.7 font fix updater here.

Second, make sure your iWork applications are updated. For iWork '08 that is Pages 3.0.3 & Numbers 1.0.3. For iWork '09 it's Pages 4.0.5 & Numbers 2.0.5. If you're not running the latest versions & Software Update says your software is up to date, make sure the applications are where the installer initially put them. The updaters are very picky. If the location is not where the updater is programmed to look or if the folder doesn't have the name the updater looks for, it will not work. The applications cannot be renamed or moved. They must be in the iWork '08 or iWork '09 folder in Applications. That iWork folder must be named iWork '08 or iWork '09. If it doesn't have the '08 or '09 Software Update won't find them & the updaters won't work.

Also, deleting the program's preference list is the #1 trouble-shooting step with any misbehaving application. Go to HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences, delete the com.apple.iwork.pages.plist, empty the Trash & then restart Pages. Repeat with Numbers & Keynote. This needs to be done for each user.

5. Ish thread starter macrumors 68010

Ish

Thanks for all that PeggyD! I'm using Pages 08, waiting for the new one to come out before upgrading. Everything was up to date, deleted the preferences file and problem still there. Started downloading the combo then decided to try re-downloading the font. Don't know why I didn't do that before. Didn't seem to work first time :confused: tried from a different source and everything works! :confused: :) Restarted Pages after each time too. Got preferences file back from Time Machine as it's got all my auto-corrections on there and everything is fine. Thanks again.