iWork (Pages) issue. Duplicate broken

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akm3, May 11, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm trying to create my wife some business cards in iWork. I've setup one of the cards in the template guides, and am trying to figure out how to set all the other cards to be the same. The obvious answer is to Dupliate it (copy/paste), but when I copy more than one text box at a time, the old box is destroyed when the new one is pasted.

I can copy/paste individual text boxes, but then my spacing is slightly different between all the cards. Is my program not functioning as it should, and/or what bone head thing am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
    -Allen

2. rap2000us macrumors newbie

How I do business cards

First I put blue guide lines on the page at the correct locations so that I know where my card boundaries are. Then I create one copy of the card. Next I "select all" and group all of the components of that card together. I then duplicate the grouped card enough to make a vertical column to cover my card paper - say 4 duplicates giving a total of 5 cards that I want to be in the first column of an 8.5 x 11 sheet. Next, position the top card where it should be and also the bottom card inside the blue lines. Then again I "select all" and with all of the cards selected I arrange>distribute>vertically. Also arrange>align>left. Now all of the cards on the first column are spaced evenly. Then select all again and group the entire first column. Duplicate again and position to the right. Arrange>align ... as needed to get everything straight. You should be ready to print.
    Regarding the original disappearing when you duplicate the first card, if the duplicate copy is too close to the original then it will look like the original is gone when really it is just hidden. If you seen a box with a + sign in it then this is what is happening. Simply move the copy away and the original will now be seen. Hope that this helps.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

OK then my program is buggered.

When I create the first card in the guides, and then select all/duplicate, the duplicate appears but the original disappears.

If I copy /paste, as soon as I paste, the original disappears and the pasted one appears. If I paste AGAIN, the just pasted one disappears and a new one appears.

Something isn't working right.

4. Vulpinemac macrumors 6502a

Losing originals

It does the same thing for me. I create the first card; then when I try to cut and paste, it pastes the copy over the original, offset on a diagonal. I drag the copy to the new location, and the original is blank where the copy sat over it.

5. Shazbot996 macrumors newbie

Hey folks. I was having the same problem.

In case you haven't figured it out by now... the problem is that you are drag-selecting your content in the first cell. This has the nasty habit of selecting some background layout elements that are "behind" the cells. So when you PASTE this way, you are actually pasting a whole white layer on top of your original. Look for the little grey "X" marks around the borders... they outline the background element. (Not sure what these are for) as well as the little "avery 5371" label at the bottom...

It worked great for me when I just carefully cmd-clicked each element in the cell, copied that... and it pasted happily. That white background element is what is screwing it up!

Hope that helps... cheers!

6. Vulpinemac macrumors 6502a

What you didn't say is how you got around the problem. I'm not a fan of rebuilding every element to make 10 copies when all I want to do is copy the completed original to 10 locations.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think he did. All of the elements in the card need to be selected individually. He said cmd-click but I think he must have meant shift-click. Incidentally once they are selected, they can be grouped to simplify duplication.

8. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, I'll go back and try it again.

I ended up having to have Kinkos do the duplication for me :(

9. Vulpinemac macrumors 6502a

Perhaps. I'll have to try it again. But honestly that's not the Apple way. I'm sure there's something much simpler there that we're just not aware of.
    After all, trying to build a business card off of a photo background means you don't just have tiny pieces to move around, you've got to be able to reproduce the Whole as a package.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not sure what you mean. In fact if you use one of the templates, Pages lays the cards out automatically using your Address Book entry. The only real issue anyone should face doing this is making sure that they haven't copied the white background, which is there to mask the cut lines. The old shift-click for multiple selections has been around forever.

11. Vulpinemac macrumors 6502a

Aye, you're right. However, I'm using the template as a base rather than a finalized product. I'm trying to use a photo as the background while keeping the text layout, in general. Once I complete one card, I want to copy the entire card into the other 9 positions, and that should be a simple Group/drag/drop, or an even simpler, "copy to all locations" command. I mean, Aperture 2 is even easier than this. Creating custom filenames and moving images is as easy as drag-and-drop while even exporting to iMovie or a third-party app is easier than designing a single sheet of business cards.

12. Shazbot996 macrumors newbie

Yeah, it is too bad that the business card template does not include an auto-duplication routine like Openoffice, et. al. Since clearly the business cards would have duplicate data 10 times. It made it even worse for me because I had to do 8-up and not 10-up to allow for bleed margins, so I had to make a new page, and copy/paste again, as the templates default to 10-up. The only pain is in shift-selecting the elements to be duplicated. I also wish the cut lines and such could be somehow masked so as not to interfere with the selection process. That would make most of this problem go away.

On a related note, and risking thread hijack: I notice that [very] often when I shift-select multiple elements, my machine gets hammered, and Pages has to "catch up" with my selections, often chugging 15 seconds or more before actually highlighting my selection. This gets very annoying, and is about the only technical problem I have run into with Pages. In every other way, Pages has astounded me as an incredible piece of software. That little niggle is killing me, as it happens every time I use it.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't see the problem. I guess I'm just used shift-clicking. It's the way the Mac has always worked, and the way I expect it to work.

14. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Bump, still having this problem.

Even shift clicking does NOT solve the problem. When I then copy/past it doesn't work.

If the problem is the white background coming over, the send forward/send backwards don't seem to be helping.

I'm stuck!

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Try selecting the white background and locking it.

16. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Boom! Thanks a lot!

It seems to me the Business Card template should only show you ONE business card, and when you are done, auto fill it to fill a standard sized sheet.

Definite room for improvement on that one.

17. Crittiper macrumors newbie

It is absolutely ridiculous that you aren't given one page to lay your card out and automatically have that duplicated ten times. It is preposterous that I should have to go through layout ten times, once for each card - especially with multiple text boxes turning it in to several edits per card. I could do it faster without any templates on a blank. That this other fella paid for iwork and then went to kinko's to get it done is all that needs to be said. Very disappointing.

18. Arlie macrumors newbie

Now I've done all that duplicating stuff

Just got finished struggling with creating my business cards. I agree, this process is seriously flawed. My problem is now trying to get rid of the borders that appear around the edges of each card. The inspector has the border function "greyed" out so I'm guessing the template itself has to be edited. Any help on this one?