iWork problem - freezes???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

Hi everyone!

I just got my previous generation MBP 2.5 Ghz last nite and decided to try iWork today.

I downloaded the trial off the Apple site and then clicked on the iWork 'quick guide through everything' or whatever it's called. As a result, a gray screen with an Apple logo popped up and afterwards nothing happened! I waited for over a min, yet nothing. Tried turning the laptop off with the On/off button, didn't work. Tried closing the lid, but when I reopened it some 'loading' bars would appear on a gray screen, and after having loaded there would be a quick sound and a black screen.

Afterwards I tried removing the battery and reinserting it and then turning the laptop on - identical story. Ultimately, I tried booting by using the OS X Install CD, and this time it finally worked.

What the heck was that?? It kinda scared me because I was really happy with my purchase and didn't expect I would run into a problem like that right away.

For the record: just this morning I installed 2x2 GB Kingston Apple ram. Could it be its fault? How could I check on my RAM whether it's working properly or not? It does recognize it in the "About Mac" thing.

But yeah, I've been wanting to check on the RAM capacity - because I didn't really have the feeling that my applications work any faster than when I had 2 GB... How could I check if my computer can utilize the entire 4GB capacity as it should?

Thank you

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like you just experienced a kernel panic. Odds are the RAM you recently installed is the cause, and it has nothing to do with iWork. There are a bunch of memory testing applications out there, but in your case you don't really need one, because if you remove the chip you put in and it works fine, you KNOW the cause is the RAM.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Isn't Kernel Panic characterized by "You need to restart your computer" or various other things shouting over your screen?

This wasn't my case.

It's just that it pretty much froze with when the apple logo appeared upon starting iWork's guide through.

What should I do really?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Okay, guess I misread your post. That being the case, I'd suggest moving iWork's preference files elsewhere, then try again. The files are located in ~/Library/Preferences (where ~ is your home folder), and all start with "com.apple.iWork" and end in "plist" (without the "quotes").

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My first concern is that you downloaded the trial version, when it should have already been installed on your Mac when you bought it. You might want to check to see if you don't now have two iWork folders.

6. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think I had it installed in the first place. At least I only saw 1 folder under the Applications section when I just checked it.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This doesn't sound right. Unless Apple has suddenly stopped shipping the iWork trial with new Macs, it would have been pre-installed. Anyway, I just noticed you having mentioned the RAM install. I agree with wrldwzrd89, you need to pull that RAM and try without.

8. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hm, but I just tried it again twice, and it worked without a hitch... it was only that one time that it froze....

What should I do?

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly