iwork question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TonyBaloney, Jan 27, 2010.

1. TonyBaloney macrumors regular

Is there any word of being able to print documents like from Pages directly from iPad? I guess you could ultimately transfer files but it would definitely make it more convenient...

2. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Does iWork run on the iPad?

It's an OS X application...

3. desk003 macrumors member

Your head must be really stuck under that rock...

Not sure, hasn't been any word that I've seen.

4. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

I would really hope it does. If not it defeats the purpose of using it over a MB or MBP to do work. Sure it maybe more portable to do the work initially than a laptop but if i have to sync/email it before i print then why bother?

If not im sure it could be changed with a simple software update. Anyway i still love the device and the potential it has!

[EDIT] Even if iWork doesn't print natively the files could be saved to the shared file section (if i understand that correctly?) and a third pard app could then print. Still not ideal but saves a sync/email to a computer.

Rowan

5. acrahm macrumors regular

if i am understanding this correctly about iwork/ipad. could i conceivably run keynote presentations of the ipad and have them displayed in my classroom on a projector? (right now my MBP is connected to a projector)

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

It appears that some kind of VGA/DVI output will be available using the dock connector, so anything on the iPad's screen can be projected or whatever.

7. acrahm macrumors regular

shoot, if thats the case then i am sold....this is the perfect piece of hardware for a high school teacher (well one that uses 3 rooms for their classes) soo much easier to carry something like this around then my mbp...

8. Seo macrumors regular

So I could use my iPod Touch or iPhone to control it if I'm on the same WiFi network?

Do you think it'll have an IR sensor so I can use the Apple Remote in case I don't have access to a Wifi network?

9. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I don't recall where, but I definitely remember seeing someone find - maybe an SDK leak? - that the video could output something *other* than what's on the screen itself. So for instance, you could output slides (only) while on the iPad itself view additional notes, controls to advance the slides, whatever. Kinda cool if so.

Re: printing, there are great 3rd party apps to do so already. That said, I find it nearly impossible to believe that Apple won't offer Bonjour or BT printing right out of the box on Day 1. And if not Day 1, soon thereafter.

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

As mentioned above... their is already an app that allows you to print from your iPhone. There was also an article 2 or 3 days after the Keynote with a quote from an Apple source stating they will be implementing wifi printing across networks as well as file sharing via network drives.

With iWork as a native app, and the ability to hook up to a projector for presentations, I would feel pretty safe betting the iPad will come with the ability to print via Wifi as a native capability.