iWork Text Box Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by msw123307, Sep 22, 2008.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I'm using iWork and am new to it. I'm trying to compose a letter so I picked one of the templates and worked with it. Only problem is there are two "boxes" with prefilled information. One is the header and has my address info.

The other box is the body of the letter.

My problem is, between the header and the box, there is too much empty space. How in the world can I alter the spacing of the "box" that was in the template and move it up, and then insert the date? I have been trying for a long time and can't figure it out!

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Technically that is not a Text Box. Rather it is a Header. Change your view to Layout (if it is not already).

If you want to change how far down that goes, then go to the Inspector > Document Inspector and change the number next to the inches of the header section and it will change how far it down the page it will be. Play with it some and you can see the changes on the sheet as you change the header numbers.

Or if you want it as a Text Box, then get rid of the Header (uncheck the box in Document Inspector), and then create your own Text Box.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok - I gotcha. The main problem I'm having though is the space between the first box, the header, and the second box, the body of the letter. No matter if I adjust the # by the header or not, I still have more space than I would like between the header and the body of the letter. Can you help me with this? Thanks.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

You didn't say which letter template you chose, so I picked one. As with any document, I find it much easier to see what is going on by showing layout & invisibles. The template I chose has a 2" top margin. You can change that in the document inspector.

Attached Files:

5. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

I chose the Milano letter..I'm attaching a screen capture of it. I'm trying to reduce the amount of space between the header, and where the letter begins with the date.

I can make the header start closer to the top of the page, but the space between these two still remains. I want the body of the letter not to be so far away from the header..and this template was called the Milano style.

Attached Files:

6. Izzy macrumors member

Put your cursor in the main body text box. Go into the Layout Inspector and look at the layout margins. You'll want to reduce the before number until you are happy with where the text box starts.

7. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I needed. Thanks. Now I have to figure out how to add something after the body section.