iWork -- there will be no update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mhister, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mhister macrumors newbie

No iWork update EVER! :( :( :(

That is my guess. Why?

My guess is that Microsoft threatened to stop developing Office for Mac unless Apple backed way off. :eek: :eek: :eek:

How else could you possibly explain a company as savvy as Apple giving so little care for a product brand? :apple:

2. MacPrime macrumors newbie

MacPrime

I think that you're insane.

Apple wouldn't care if Microsoft stopped making Office for Mac, they would welcome it with open arms because iWork would be the most used word processing suite available on the Mac.

3. szolr macrumors 6502

Indeed. ;) I think it much more likely Apple are prepping a killer update which will draw them ahead of Office. When Lion made it's debut iWork got Auto-Save, Versions, Resume. They're pretty big updates in their own right. Now iCloud is soon coming out. iWork will be tightly integrated into that with automatic backups. iCloud will probably also enable iWork documents to be viewed on Windows from within a web browser.

Understand this: iWork being updated doesn't necessarily mean '09 becomes '11 or whatever.

4. Razeus macrumors 601

iWork will simply drop the "'09" reference and be referred to by iWork only. It's constantly getting updates and I expect major one in the next few weeks. I doubt iWork and iLife will see anymore "year based" releases and simply get updates to add new features. Pay for it once, update it forever.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I think this is the way it will be too. iWork does get frequent updates, but there isn't really anything I can think of aside from a few small things that it would need added. In my opinion iWork isn't meant to compete with Office, its more of an alternative for those who don't need the power (and sometimes frustration) of office.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your "guess" is a highly uneducated one.
    • First, MS would not stop developing Office for Mac unless the demand for it dropped to the point it was no longer profitable. Microsoft has been making money off Office for Mac longer than it has made money from Office for Windows.
    • Second, Microsoft isn't in a position to threaten Apple in any way.
    • Third, Apple continues to update iWork and there is no indication of any intent to stop doing so.
    • Fourth, Apple has been offering iWork since 2005, and there has been no hint of pressure by Microsoft to discontinue doing so.
    I recommend you engage your brain before putting your mouth (or fingers) in gear.

7. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

I second that emotion, though the phrase I learned from my father was:

"Put your brain in gear before you let out the clutch."

Stuck in neutral there, OP? Please explain your logic, or were you just trolling? How is "Apple giving so little care for a product brand?"

And chrono, what exactly is the "power" in MS Office? I had to laugh when I read that. I have clients who have struggled for years with MS Word trying to accomplish what is simple to do in Pages (e.g. placing images). Yeah, the power to obfuscate and complicate what should be simple word processing, never mind basic page layout.

Or maybe you were just being ironic?

dmz

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I was talking about the excess (bloat in my opinion) of formatting options that MS Office has. I don't like office in any way and much prefer iWork over it any day (image placement like you said is a BIG reason) but there are people who need some advanced stuff that Excel does or some of the options Word gives users.

9. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Im currently testing iwork beta3. Final release will be out very soon

10. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I assume to mean the iOS version of iWork.

It would be nice to see some new features in iWork. Do you ever think that will be a database app added i.e FileMaker lite?