iWork update anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ifjake, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Hi, I'm in need of a good spreadsheet application on Lion. I was about to get Numbers from the App store, but I read in the reviews that the iPad version has more features than the Mac version. Does anyone have any idea about when Numbers and iWork will have a new version?

Thanks!

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Have you tried Google Docs? It's free and in the cloud. Might meet your needs in the short term. I have used this to open and edit Excel spreadsheets in the past.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with excel personally. You cannot beat the features and worldwide acceptance.

Apple hasn't really updated iWork for the Mac in a while, so in theory we should see something this year but the same logic applied to last year and no major update.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The iWork apps for iOS are limited compared to the desktop versions. Numbers meets my needs, but you do have to "think different."

As for updates as in a new version, I've been expecting it "any day" since fall of 2010 when iLife '11 was announced. Then when the Mac App Store went live, then when Lion was released, then when iCloud went live, then…

5. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

I love iWorks, but for serious enterprise business I am using Excel because I need VBA programming for Macros. I also use Pivot tables A LOT! That unfortunately does not (yet?) exist in iCalc.

6. Fantatier macrumors newbie

what is stoping me from dropping the cash on the osx version is the fact that many cool features are mute if I sync with my iOS devices (which I do)
    ie. no conditional formatting under iOS but under OSX :confused: whats up with that, I see no good reason for the exclusion of such essential spreadsheet functionality

so I too would be very interested in new iWorks versions, for osx but also ios...

7. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

As someone who has used the iWork apps a lot in OS X since launch (especially Pages and Keynote) I have found the slowdown in development over the last couple of years a bit of a disappointment. Pages and Keynote are great but I miss discovering new features. Meanwhile Numbers is still some way from competing with Excel in terms of functionality.

I hope that any attempts by Apple to maintain parity with the suite for portable devices (that are unlikely to be able to offer all the same features) does not stunt all future development of the OS X apps.

I hope they've been sitting on some stuff for a while and we'll get to see on 24 Jan. Maybe Pages will allow for some cool ePUB3 publishing? Maybe Keynote will get some better interactive features or make use of HTML5? Surely there's got to be a way to open iBooks on a Mac - maybe some sort of access through Safari? Sorry, realise I've gone OT...

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Yep, we've been asking the same question for the last 2 years :(

9. rcappo macrumors regular