iWork upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CylonGlitch, Oct 22, 2013.

1. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have a feeling I'm not getting the free upgrade to iWork. I purchased it on DVD years ago, not via the App Store. I doubt they are going to upgrade me to the latest for free. :( But then again, a new MBP may be in my near future. :D

Anyone else in the same boat? Any thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The MAS does not offer upgrade pricing so anyone of us who are not purchasing a new Mac will have to pay full price.

3. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Me too. I have always been able to receive the updates via a download but every time I go to the store it doesn't know that I purchased the iLife family pack.

4. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

That's because upgrades are always free on the MAS. That's how it's always been. If an upgrade is released, you get it, you only pay once when you purchase. I don't think Apple is going to maintain two versions of iWork on the store. It goes against MAS behavior. I thought that people who already had it (either they bought it from the store or on DVD before the MAS existed) would get the upgrade. The only people who would have to pay would be people who didn't have it at all.

5. MauerFan macrumors regular

I was hoping it would be free for everyone :( Guess I'll fork over the $60

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Same boat here with only the DVD version, and not sure which apps I'd pay to upgrade. Pages is the only one I use heavily, and frankly they all work fine for me. I'll probably wait for thorough reviews.

But what I wonder about are the iLife apps. I've got them in the App store and wonder if the new versions will require a new purchase.

7. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

The iwork and ilife apps in the MAS are still showing the old version for me.

8. MauerFan macrumors regular

I'm thinking it changes after Mavericks is installed.

9. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I have Mavericks installed and it shows the old versions for me.

10. Bear macrumors G3

Wait a couple of days and see what comes in software update.

Wait a day or 2 before paying and see if anything changes. There's always funky lag on the App Stores when they update this much stuff.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Same for me. I'd say wait a while for the MAS to get things moving.

There's a new iTunes coming out too.

12. ET3SW macrumors regular

My MAS just refreshed and all my previously purchased iWork apps are being updated to the latest version

13. WrenFGun macrumors member

I'm just curious, do people anticipate getting an update if you have the install disk and didn't buy through the APP store? I bought back in 2009. I only see one version in the app store (the new version) so I'm hoping they'll upgrade.

14. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Please let us know what they are like.

What happens if you open a bunch of documents? Does every one have it's own attached inspector or can you separate the inspector so there's only one and it stays in the same place all the time?

15. Xe89 macrumors regular

The new Pages introduced a new file format. I have not yet updated to the new version (staying on Mountain Lion for a while) but I did create a .pages file using the web version. I then downloaded that document and tried to open it using the old version of Pages (4.3). It did not open and instead asked me to update Pages. That's not too surprising.

However, can someone with the new Pages installed try and open old files with the new Pages?

16. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Wait for refresh of iTunes and App Store. I am currently downloading new iWorks suite in iTunes and new iLife suite in the App Store. Should be done in several minutes. Not quite sure why I could not do both from App Store. But a little added info in case you could not find them in App Store. Look in iTunes.

17. maccompatible macrumors 6502

Last time it took a few days before the software update showed updates for my DVD version of iWork. I'm going to give it until the weekend.

18. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

spoke to apple support and they said it was because there was no record of me buying it in the app store. i told him I had the box and receipt but was told he couldn't do anything. He then said to let apple know through their feedback page and maybe they will let us previous owners update.

19. shaanx macrumors newbie

i was trying to upgrade but apparently it's only for macs purchased after October 1st and i purchased mine on Sept 28th... doh.:(

20. saudor macrumors 6502

apparently someone posted on these forums that they spoke to an apple rep and they are making it available as a free update for the boxed users as well soon...

21. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

Looking at the updated Pages website, it's a desktop version of Pages for iCloud. Simplified inspector and all. And they changed the file format so my iWorks '09 on my older iMac running Lion can't open the new files, at least if Apple doesn't upgrade it.

I would like to assume Apple will update the existing '09 install base going back to Snow Leopard. It's bad enough that I don't have iCloud access on 10.7 Lion built-in like with 10.8 ML, but at least I've been able to work around it using Dropbox. And the files work seamlessly between 10.7 and 10.8 versions too.

Even so, if Apple is dumbing down the UI to match the web suite, I'll probably be moving my projects back to the more powerful and more cross-platform Office.

22. onekerato macrumors regular

Isn't the new Pages/Numbers/Keynote only for OS X Mavericks? Compatibility info box in the Mac App Store says 10.9 and later.

23. nivekr11 macrumors regular

24. CylonGlitch thread starter macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Just and FYI, I just finished installing Mavericks and booted into it; the App store is automatically downloading the updated versions for me. I had installed them via DVD years ago and they were only available for purchase in the MAS. So I'm a happy camper, everything looks great so far.

25. hounslowfish macrumors regular

I can't express how surprised and grateful I am that we disk purchasers are getting iWork for free too. Excellent service Apple!

For me, the updates didn't show up in Software Update straight away, but they did once I opened a Guest Account, and then ran Software update, as described in the other thread.

I can confirm the new iWork apps are lovely.