iWork v. Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newtothis, Apr 13, 2008.

1. newtothis macrumors newbie

Just bought my first mac. Bought iWork instead of MSOffice. Was I foolish? I should be able to open word docs, right?

2. steken macrumors newbie

Both have their respective strengths and weaknesses, but don't worry too much about it as I use iWork and have no real problems. About the cross compatibility issue, except for files created on MS Publisher iWork can open up most MS office files. What you might notice is the occasional format issue which your attention is drawn to, also it is possible to export a files from iWork so they are in a format that can be read by MS Office.

3. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

There is a thorough review of both software in May's issue of MacWorld.

If you can grab a copy, it will be a good read.

4. Future Blues macrumors member

You can export to an MSOffice readable format but in the case of tables and/or any intensive page layout, it's not really worth it as Office tends to eat the formatting as soon as the document is opened up.

Exporting to PDF usually allows me to get around this problem (when printing). If you plan to share documents between Office computers then you're probably better off with MS Office, but alone, iWork is great, especially when you consider the low entry fee.

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816