iWork VP Roger Rosner Taking Charge of Apple's Digital Textbook Initiative

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to the Wall Street Journal, Roger Rosner is the executive in charge of Apple's digital textbook tools. According to his LinkedIn page, Rosner is a Vice President for Productivity Applications at Apple, and has been with the company since 2001, prior to which he was CEO of Bluefish Labs, a software development firm that Apple purchased.

Prior to working on the textbook service, Rosner was in charge of Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- Apple's iWork suite of office applications. Jessica Vascellaro writes for the WSJ:
Mr. Rosner's involvement is a sign of how strongly Apple intends to emphasize textbook creation, in a move to change the type of educational content that exists on the market. It also underscores how as textbooks--and all media--goes digital, it is increasingly important for tech companies to get media companies to create digital content with their software or in formats compatible with their services and devices.

Whether Mr. Rosner, whose LinkedIn profile pegs him at Apple for more than a decade, will take the stage on Thursday remains unclear. If so, audiences may remember him from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference this past June, where he demonstrated features of iCloud, the company's online syncing and storing service.
Rosner made his first widely-viewed public appearance when he demonstrated iCloud onstage at WWDC in June of 2011.

Article Link: iWork VP Roger Rosner Taking Charge of Apple's Digital Textbook Initiative

jpitcairn

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
iWork '12 released Thursday perhaps? With this new tool as part of the suite.

Last edited:

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
good, hopefully after this textbook thing he'll get mac version of iWork synced up with iCloud. Promised months ago!

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2006
I have high hopes for this Textbook thing.

I really hope Apple can install some sanity into the despicable situation with student textbooks. As of now, even if you want to do your part, and eliminate wasteful use of resources by printing textbooks year after year which have only trivial details separating them from the year before, you can buy some books in eBook format. For example on this site: www.cengagebrain.com

You can buy at least some books in eBook format, being a good samaritan, but can you put it on your iPad and stash it away on the shelf in iBooks?

No.

No, you have to lease the item off the website, thereby only able to access the book while under hegemony of the internet, login on their website, and browsing.

Which makes it less portable than a regular heavy textbook.

Thus we can have technology liberate us, or enslave us to further hassles, and petty tribute.

I hope Apple will muster the gusto to allow the former.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I hope to God there is a new iWork. I bought iWork 09 but the disc was destroyed, so I am currently without it on my Mac, and I actually have a work project for which I'd like to use numbers to create some charts. I haven't brought myself around to repurchasing it on the Mac App Store in the hopes a new version is coming out (I don't want to buy it twice)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Mr. Rosner's involvement is a sign of how strongly Apple intends to emphasize textbook creation,
So... it's going to be so low a priority that some aspects of it *cough*iWork.com*cough* won't ever actually come out of beta?

I agree with others that a new iWork would be nice... I'd really like to have Numbers finally be a full featured replacement for Excel... and Pages for Word... I think Keynote is still well ahead of Powerpoint, is it not?

nylonsteel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

i would have done better in college if textbooks had

cool cg animations of equation in action for my calculus physics and engineering courses

just plug in variables and see the equations do their thing in cg

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
While this may not be the venue to release iWork 2012, it is certainly related and increasingly necessary. The fact that iWork doesn't work with the iOS versions via iCloud is a major lapse in Apple's cloud ecosystem.

I hope they correct that right away, and a side note to this event or even a quiet update after it would be an ideal opportunity.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
what would be cool is if the Digital Textbook program is a part of iWork, and the Digital textbook program could also hold periodicals, research papers, and so forth. Then have some sort of tie in that makes quoting, and citing those works in Page a very simple and manageable process. It would help many people (particularly High School students and College students) with research papers.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I will be the happiest man alive if there is an iWork '12 announcement. It's years overdue.

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
remember this?
screen cap taken from apple's website the day the Mac App Store launched
you can see iWork 11' under quick links and it never came out

hoing

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Ahh, look what we have here. Another communist product of Apple. Look at this freak. :mad:

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Roger's the perfect guy for the job

As a co-founder of Lighthouse Design he has over 2 decades of ObjC/AppKit/Cocoa knowledge in Word Processing/Document Processing.

Lighthouse made some great software.

japanime

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I have high hopes for this Textbook thing.

I really hope Apple can install some sanity into the despicable situation with student textbooks. As of now, even if you want to do your part, and eliminate wasteful use of resources by printing textbooks year after year which have only trivial details separating them from the year before, you can buy some books in eBook format. For example on this site: www.cengagebrain.com

You can buy at least some books in eBook format, being a good samaritan, but can you put it on your iPad and stash it away on the shelf in iBooks?

No.

No, you have to lease the item off the website, thereby only able to access the book while under hegemony of the internet, login on their website, and browsing.

Which makes it less portable than a regular heavy textbook.

Thus we can have technology liberate us, or enslave us to further hassles, and petty tribute.

I hope Apple will muster the gusto to allow the former.
As a reader of ebooks, I totally agree with you. And as a publisher of ebooks, I also totally agree with you.

Too many publishers make their customers jump through hoops and contend with DRM just to read a book. Which is ridiculous — and which is why my company (we publish educational comics) always selects the "DRM-free" option when submitting our ePubs to Apple, Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc. We want people to be able to read our books on whatever devices they want, whenever they want. The less hassle for our readers, the more business for us. :)

TechStooge

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
would love textbooks on the ipad

i hate carrying huge heavy science textbooks around university campus XD

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
and I actually have a work project for which I'd like to use numbers to create some charts. I haven't brought myself around to repurchasing it on the Mac App Store in the hopes a new version is coming out (I don't want to buy it twice)
So you are risking you job on a $79 upgrade to a piece of software?????

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
With Apple, you gotta expect some kind of unique way of getting the job done, and once it's announced, everyone will go, "Oh, so-and-so tried that before Apple thought of it."
But like the iPad and the iPod and the iPhone...Apple will make it succeed for the first time.