iWork vs. Documents to Go

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by butterfly0fdoom, Jun 6, 2010.

1. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Just wondering if anyone's used both. I used to have Documents to Go on my old Palm-based PDAs, but I've heard of some issues with the iPad version? Its price versus all three iWork programs is really compelling, though.

2. caubeck macrumors 6502

I use both for writing documents. I am waiting for full BT keyboard support in D2G before I transfer my current writing projects to it and until then will still be using Pages for simple writing tasks. However, if I need to do any kind of Word-related work at the office I prefer to use D2G even now. There's nothing better in functionality and reliability, IMHO. Pages was a disappointment.

3. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Is there any docs suite on the iPad that supports Open Office file formats as well as word/excel?

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Docs To Go got my money. The best feature for me is the ability to view/edit files from my Dropbox and Sugarsync accounts. Because of this one feature alone, my iPad nearly functions as a full notebook replacement. I now have all of my most critical files with me at all times and I can edit them on the fly if I have to. Works great.

5. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm waiting on QuickOffice for iPad, which is due "very soon" according to the developer and is specifically customized to the iPad with new features, not just a "scale-up" like Docs to Go. Though QO is not a universal app, but I'm willing to pay again if it's good enough.

6. caubeck macrumors 6502

If they add footnotes, I may buy it too. I've always had D2G and QO on the iPhone, but rarely used either because of the small screen.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

What is lacking in the BT support? I am able to use my BT keyboard just fine with Docs2go

I am really enjoying D2G. It can sync with my dropbox, google docs AND desktop files over wifi. That in and of itself is amazing.

8. caubeck macrumors 6502

Arrow keys don't work. They know about it already.

9. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

... and it is amazing just how much of a PITA that is in day-to-day use.

10. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Ohhh that is a problem. Didn't even realize it when I was testing out the app. That is too bad.

Oh well I use mine mostly for viewing, not editing. If D2G is aware of the issue and is working to fix it, then that is very good.

11. Sfdoddsy macrumors newbie

I'm using D2Go to edit Word documents in my Dropbox. However, it won't save them back to dropbox. Instead, it insists on my doing a Save As and it still won't store the file back in Dropbox.

Any ideas here?