iWork VS MS Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macintosh¯Lover, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Macintosh¯Lover macrumors member

2. RoninXI macrumors regular

I hates MS office and iWork is not really an office suite. OpenOffice and NeoOffice can open and edit every office file including 2007(PC) 2008(Mac) "x" formats. It will save you $400 and both work just as well as MS Office.

3. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

If you use MS Office at work, then using MS Office on your mac makes sense. You're pretty much assured that you'll have full sharing between the two versions.

Yeah, the interface is completely different to the Windows version, but you get used to it after a while.

If you don't need to share files, other solutions will work better for you.

But. For every person who uses and likes MS Office on the Mac, you'll find ten who hate it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Given the amount of duplicate threads we get this guy's getting it pretty harsh.

OP, ALL my friends at uni with macbooks use MS Office ('04 version I think). I've seen all of them have compatibility issues with it at one time or another (on doc and ppt files made on the macbook, which turn into pages of weird symbols on a pc)

I started using iWork '09 a few months ago, really like it and haven't had any problems with it. But I also keep Open Office 2 and 3 on my computer as backup. Used Open Office 2 for over a year without a single problem, 3's the new version but it sometimes freezes on me, hence why I still have 2.

6. RoninXI macrumors regular

I have actually found 2008 to be less compatible with the windows 2007 and 2003 counterparts than NeoOffice(I am sure it is the same for OpenOffice 3 but have not had the chance to test it much.

My uncle, grandmother and myself hated 2008 (my uncle got it and we just kept passing it on), when I went to uninstall it, I actually had to do an archive and install because it messed something up and gave me kernel panics so I am done trusting my luck with MS :mad: