iwork vs. MS Office Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ramacaddict, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ramacaddict macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I converted to a MacBookPro a few months ago and purchased Mac Box Set to Upgrade to Leopard. This package came with iwork.

Just bought my kids their first Mac and am torn between purchasing MS Office Mac 2008 or another iwork license? Not sure which is easier to use for children?

Appreciate any input!

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Iwork for sure. Plus they'll get a kick out of having fast access to their iPhotos with the media browsing.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

4. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I prefer iWork over Office 2008, but I would also give OpenOffice a try to see if they would like it first.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Open Office for a child?

Some of you are cruel. :p

6. mackeys macrumors newbie

iWork for sure over MS Office but if OpenOffice does what you want stick with that.

7. ramacaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

I prefer iWork to Open Office and Neo Office

I definitely prefer iWork to OpenOffice and NeoOffice.
    Just not sure if Pages is as easy to use for children as MS Word.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

How old are your children?

I just bought iWork the Missing Manual. Haven't gotten through the leadoff Pages section yet but I've learned a good amount.

I think children may, if they are fairly young, be quicker on modifying the templates rather than creating stuff from scratch.

9. ramacaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

They are 6 and 8

My 8 year old is pretty savvy with word, I be she can pick up quickly with Pages.....

10. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use Keynote over PowerPoint, but other then that I use Word and Excel much more then Pages and Numbers. Although if I need to use templates, I much prefer Pages.

12. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

The world speaks Microsoft Office, so your kids will be better off with the software that everyone else uses. And the Home and Student edition of Office:Mac 2008 (which allows three installations) costs around the same as a single user license of iWork 09 - at least here in Germany.

13. ZenWLH macrumors newbie

Does iWork '09 make documents like MS? I took it off because I thought it was more for businesses...

14. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

15. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Ditto. Pages really sucks for word processing...

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Why? What do you think is missing?

17. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

To be honest, Office 2007 for Windows is way better than both iWork and Office for Mac.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

As it should be ..it's not $79

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Pages doesn't suck, it's very good. For one thing, the layout of Word I prefer to pages. The main reason why I use word is because of my student-status, Track Changes and Indexing are features that iThink iWork lacks in comparison, especially the former. With that being said, I still use Pages, but most of my word processing is for school, and for that it's Word.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm reading the iWork Missing Manual book and I've found that Pages does things differently than Word but a lot of the features I use are in Pages it's just a different process to get them done.

I think people tend to think that once they learn Word ...ALL other programs should function "just like word"

Much like every program that does image editing is just a Photoshop clone.

21. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I prefer iWork. However, I use MS Office more because I have to use PPT and Excel for my leadership class :mad:. However, they are both really easy to learn. As someone already said iWork is more streamlined to work with your photos and music with the inspector.

22. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

:D Seconded. I personally can't stand Open Office/NeoOffice. The UI is clunky as hell, and my documents never look "right."

I have both iWork '09 and MS Office Home & Student for Mac and I use both regularly. Basically if I need to create and share a document in the .docx format, I use MS Word, and Pages for creating my PDFs.

23. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

+1 for iWork '09
    Integrates perfectly with other i-apps and i-phone

24. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

100% agreed.

What do you think about Google Docs? Is it working for you?

25. siggybert macrumors newbie

still not sure

i bought my first imac on saturday. and still not sure on getting office or iwork.

the thing of corse is , i have been working with office for the last how many years .... and most documents i works with are made in office ...
    if i switch to iworks *1 i need to learn it ... thats not a big issue but still i have to start from scratch *2 all docments i have at home and stil wanna use i need , or to remake /comvert or use em on the pc laptop.
    i am using the imac at home , private use, so i dont have to swich documents from work to home and back ... and price is abot the same ...

iworks <-> office ?:(