iWork vs. MS Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by winterdude010, Sep 26, 2007.

1. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

Hi,

I've recently been looking into purchasing iWork as an alternative to MS Office. But I have a question. Is it really a good replacement? From all of the stories I have heard and the demos I have seen..it looks like it just creates graphical things. Not just plain word documents, presentations, or spreadsheets. Is this true? Or does it actually do just the basics as well?

Thanks!

2. mondesi43 macrumors regular

Nike = Just Do It

I just switched in August to a new iMac along with the purchase of iWork. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I would have save a ton of money by not buying Vista and Office '07. The only thing that delayed my switching was I that wanted Leopard (waiting a looooong time), but after seeing the new iMac, I "couldn't" wait any longer.

Since the switch, I have gladly handed over my laptop to my wife. I think I've used it 1 or 2 times since, and one of those times was to help my wife figure something out. The only reason why she uses it is to work from home.

iWork is well worth the money and simplicity that it gives you to complete letters, presentations, and spread sheets.

Later,
    Mondo

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Pages comes with some basic templates that are as boring as Word. Numbers is very easy to create simple ordinary spreadsheets. And you can do a plain color background with simple text slides with zero animations in Keynote.

4. maberga29 macrumors member

5. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I've read several articles and reviews in recent days about Neoffice, so I decided to give it a try. Last night I downloaded the app, along with an available patch. I was impressed with the user interface. It's every bit as polished as a commercial app. I haven't had a chance to put the office suite through it's paces, but I did poke around a bit. If I end up liking it, I will probably contribute some cash for it's use, but it's a nice suite...and well worth the cost (free).