iWork vs Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samalexhall, Jun 1, 2010.

1. samalexhall macrumors member

samalexhall

from what iv heard
    iWork is good for presentation
    Office is good for power and special functions

But which is the best of both??? OR is thre a better alternative???
    I don't know which one to buy?
    Which one is best?

P.S I would use it for mainly presentation but could need some special functions as I am starting an engineering degree soon :)

2. samalexhall thread starter macrumors member

samalexhall

3. Sir Lorad macrumors member

I have the same doubt.

Despite the software choice, I'll wait for the next release of both. Since their already in the oven.

In the meantime, I'm using NeoOffice.

4. samalexhall thread starter macrumors member

samalexhall

I think i'll prob do the same seeing as they're both close to updates

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Get NeoOffice instead......it's free and works incredibly well.

S-

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

In my opinion:

Keynote > powerpoint
    Excel > Numbers

So if you are mostly working on presentations then go with iWork..... If you are going to be doing intensive spreadsheets Office hands down.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, this forum is great for getting questions asked :)

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Apparently the transitions in Keynote are really great, but Numbers is lacking with formula features.

Personally, I use Office. But only because it was on offer when I got my MacBook - I might've just gone down the free route instead - Neooffice is supposed to be good.

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

I agree with this. Personally I'd add Pages > Word too.

10. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

It's hard to argue with your assessment ... so I'll try anyway. ::)

If someone expects to use some of Excel's esoteric features, then by all means, get the right tool for the job. But the number of people who really "need" those functions and formulas are probably a small subset of the people who actually have Excel. My hunch, possibly misguided, is that most people would be more than satisfied with what Numbers can do.

Having said that, Numbers does have some performance issues. Multiple sheets and tables with not-very-complex lookups can really bog down performance. I'm surprised Apple didn't come out with a version that took advantage of Grand Central Dispatch right after Snow Leopard's release.

mt

11. rkjlt macrumors newbie

Excel Keyboard Shortcuts

I am an Excel power user from the Windows side and just bought MS Office for Mac. The keyboard shortcuts are different. Is there a way to flip to the Windows version keyboard shortcuts?

Thanks,
    RK

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can customize shortcuts by going to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts

13. MacRodster macrumors member

I use Open Office - it's free and very robust. Highly Recommended!

New to Mac so I never knew about Neo Office, so I'm going to look into that myself :)

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yes, I think there's a Windows version of NeoOffice as well. I think it was bundled with some Medion PCs for a short while.

15. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Actually, NeoOffice is Mac only, since it is a port of OpenOffice to the Mac, originally done when OpenOffice had still required X11. Now OpenOffice is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and it does not require X11.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use: Word, Excel, Pages, Keynote and Bento (if the last one counts)

I don't know if I'd drop more then $50 given the update in the Winter on Office. Then again, one could apply that logic to iWork most years.

17. newuservan macrumors newbie

Trouble viewing table content using Pages

I just returned my iWork software to the store (luckily they have an amazing return policy) and bought Office for Mac. I have a lot of document sharing to do with colleagues and I had difficulties in Pages viewing text within a table when the table stretched over more than one page. This was when I opened a .doc created on a PC...

When I explained the situation to the store clerk she told me she had heard that was an issue with Pages.

So if you have a lot of document sharing to do between PC/Office users, then get Office for Mac!

18. artistinnature macrumors newbie

iWork can drive me crazy

I love my MBP, but there are some missing features in iWork that I find enormously irritating:
    - no 'freeze panes' in Numbers...which is essential if you have a long spreadsheet (say, my year's business expense tracking) with lots of columns
    - tables in Pages behave oddly (in terms of formatting) compared to Word; I can't get them to skinny up rows
    - no 'style copy/paint' brush in Numbers/Pages - I live by this tool in Office
    - no toolbar shortcuts for insert/delete rows/columns in Numbers - again, I rely heavily on these in Office (and in Word for tables)

It seems as if Office is better for heavy duty productivity, and iWork is...prettier, but somewhat less functional. I do like the ability of Pages to encompass the functions of both Word and Publisher, but boy, the missing productivity tools get under my skin.

Oh, and lord, I HATE that Apple Mail can't a priori include/edit tables or other HTML-like features the way Outlook can. A 10-year-old version of Outlook on my home Win XP Dell has more functionality in this regard than my far newer Apple Mail. Sigh...

19. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

That was a strange omission since even Visicalc (circa 1980) had that. However Numbers '09 has it. It still doesn't have enough keyboard shortcuts.

20. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I think it mostly depend from the "environment". If you work in a group of people sharing Office docs in PC world for reviewing purposes, then you probably better go with Office. If not, and you don't need the gorilla capabilities of Excel, then iWork is probably enough. I use 100 pages and Keynote. And have to use Excel. However, because Excel for mac is slow, unreliable and prone to crash, and does not have any support for VB macro, then I have Parallels installed, with win XP and Office 2003.
    That allows me to be more than productive.
    Neooffice is also a valid alternative at least as word processor.

21. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This was added in 2.0 (I believe). And it's not particularly intuitive where it's placed (three tiny icons on the right side of the toolbar).

Numbers and Pages have a very similar function. Under the format menu, there's "Copy Style" and "Paste Style." To kick things up a notch, you can right click on the toolbar, which calls up a menu that includes "Customize Toolbar ..." A window appears which include icons for "Copy Style" and "Paste Style."

Just tried it out and it work quite well; an equal to what Office offers.

Although it's not in the toolbar, each row and column header has its own drop down menu which will let you add or delete rows and columns. It doesn't appear that there's a way to add it to the toolbar and I'd strongly suggest you or someone (or possibly lots of someones) use the Numbers feedback command to suggest it to Apple for the next revision.

mt

22. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

I would suggest Word over Pages - it is simply (as much as I hate to say this) more intuitive, and has a more logical layout.

It also has autosave! C'mon apple!

Edit: as I'm using pages right now, I just realized that it also has an inferior spell/grammar check, and has no readability statistics.