iWork went free?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by midouban, Apr 14, 2014.

1. midouban macrumors newbie

Hello!

My device is old, i'm not entitled to free iwork package for the ipad. This morning, i went to the app store, in the featured tab clicked on iwork and it was FREE. I thought this is apple's response to microsoft office. Downloaded them for free.

3 mins later, i go to my iphone, they were 8,99euro. After about 20mins i got the icloud icon so i downloaded them too.

Just wondering if this was a bug or are they really free now?

2. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Been free since the Air and retina mini were released I believe.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

It's only free on new devices. Otherwise, it's the same price it's always been.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Free when you buy a device, not free to everyone.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

However, once you buy a new iOS device it is free for all of your iOS devices not just the one you purchased.

6. midouban thread starter macrumors newbie

I knew that iwork comes free with all new devices.

As i said, my device is not new.
    However, I figured out why the apps were free. A bought my ipad 4 in november from a second hand shop. So of course, i do not qualify for the free apps.

However, i just checked the serial number on apple`s website and it turns out the ipad was bought in late september 2013. Meaning someone bought it and sold it to the second hand shop in about 2 weeks.... Apparently I still have apple`s warranty until late september. I guess the ipad qualified for the free iwork pack but the previous owner never downloaded it. I did yesterday. Pretty sweet.

All in all great bargain - sold my ipad 3 32gb + paid around 70 dollars for mint condition ipad 4 64gb, which apparently was used only for 2 weeks and now I get free iwork. Awesome. :cool: