iWork won't open .doc .xls files!?! (snow leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chase R, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I just installed iWork onto my Mac, after upgrading to Snow Leopard. Ever since then, I can't open .doc or .xls files. I can save documents as .doc or .xls but I can't open them. This used to work on Leopard just fine!!!!!!! Help!

[​IMG]

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

No..... I didn't know that was required for iWork?

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Probably the most common cause is a password-protected file. You'll have to use Office or an Office clone - NeoOffice or Open Office.

Rosetta is NOT needed for iWork. The apps have been universal binary since iWork '06.

5. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

It's not a password protected file, none of mine are. They opened fine in 10.5 but not in 10.6.

It's weird because Pages can save files as .doc, but it can't open them back up.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I can open .doc files in iWork 08 in Snow Leopard.

7. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

I wish I could do the same!

8. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Make sure you are using the latest version. For iWork '08 that is Pages 3.0.3 & Numbers 1.0.3. For iWork '09 it's Pages 4.0.2 & Numbers 2.0.2. I don't use Keynote, but it should also be updated.

If you're not running the latest versions & Software Update says your software is up to date, make sure the applications are where the installer initially put them. The updaters are very picky. If the location is not where the updater is programmed to look or if the folder doesn't have the name the updater looks for, it will not work. The applications cannot be renamed or moved. They must be in the iWork '08 or iWork '09 folder in Applications. That iWork folder must be named iWork '08 or iWork '09. If it doesn't have the '08 or '09 Software Update won't find them & the updaters won't work.

9. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Well, I reinstalled iWork and everything seems to be working now. Glad I got it to work. I'm trying to do without Microsoft Office!