IWorks 08 - Numbers - "Freezing" Column Headings Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BeeS4335, Jun 30, 2008.

1. BeeS4335 macrumors member

I'm a recent switcher from Excel to Numbers. For the life of me, I cannot find a way in Numbers to "freeze" headings so that as you scroll down or across the sheet they remain visible. I'd be grateful for help; the matter is not covered in the video tutorials, nor in my little manual that came with iWorks, nor on the Help Menu.

2. larrycrutcher macrumors newbie

How do you freeze panes in Numbers?

I just want to pipe in that I too am looking for this solution. The object is to be able to scroll down a page while leaving the column headings in place. Thanks.

3. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

This has been answered elsewhere (I know because I was stuck with it too.)

The answer lies in using the inspector to freeze the panes.

However, what threw me at first was that in Excel you can have the data in place and then freeze those panes, whereas in Numbers I think (what I found anyway) you create the header row and then put your headings into the cells.

I was trying for ages to make my existing cells freeze, and this just won't work as far as i can see.

4. Pumpkinml macrumors newbie

Freezing headers

[IWorks 08 - Numbers - "Freezing" Column Headings Possible?

-BeeS4335-
    I'm a recent switcher from Excel to Numbers. For the life of me, I cannot find a way in Numbers to "freeze" headings so that as you scroll down or across the sheet they remain visible. I'd be grateful for help; the matter is not covered in the video tutorials, nor in my little manual that came with iWorks, nor on the Help Menu.]...sorry, dont know how to do the quote thing.

I'm in the same boat. I'm glad it's not just me.

I am only recently trying to use the Numbers app to set up some budget spreadsheets and am also finding it impossible to freeze top or side headers. I tried to freeze headers with existing data; couldn't do it. I tried creating a new table and freezing headers before entering data; couldn't do it. My version is 10.5.6 (I think).

I bought a big book about iworks that told to how to freeze headers, but on my machine there are no pop-up, etc. options in the inspector, toolbars, or menus that referred to freezing, nor was there a grayed-out option that would at least tell me the function existed on my computer.

I'm thinking something is missing. Is this possible?

5. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I've done this dozens of times now.

Does the attached snap shot help?

Put your cursor on the left hand column and it brings up a small down arrow with some options. Choose to convert the top row to header row.

Then go to the inspector and you'll see the options for freezing the header (or side).

Attached Files:

6. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

... and ...

Attached Files:

7. BeeS4335 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry to have to admit it but I'm still at a loss as to how this works. I cannot get the sub-menu with "add header row". Nor can I get the pop up in the Inspector to freeze the row(s). The down arrow allows me to add rows but not header rows. Has anyone else cracked this? Maybe I'm just inept...!

8. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Do you get this, Bee? (attached)

Attached Files:

9. Pumpkinml macrumors newbie

Thanks for your snapshots Sir Loin. My Mac doesn't show the freeze header choices. Same as Bee, I think.

I do get the row arrow that you circled on your last pic, with options of add row above, below, etc. I am still wondering if something is missing. I haven't updated my computer lately, and maybe I should try again. It seems like that shouldn't be a patch item, though.

10. Pumpkinml macrumors newbie

p.s. I don't get the same drop down list of chosing number of rows to use as header rows under the table inspector. In my table inspector, clicking the header row and column icons act as an on/off toggle for the rows. To which I don't see the point either.

11. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

To try to clarify what I see:

I'm using Numbers 09, version 2.0.1 (316)

Attached Files:

12. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

... and with the Header chosen (highlight the entire row), I then go to inspector and that looks like this:

And that's it. FWIW, when I export to ..xls, I seem to lose the freeze frame, as indeed happens when i import an Excel sheet into the mac.

Attached Files:

13. Baculo macrumors newbie

I have now tried to do this and realize that only the top row can be converted to a header row! This can be done multiple times, but only one row at a time.
    Therefore, to get the menu item that says "convert to header row", the first row below any current header row will generate this menu choice. Once this is converted to a header row, then the next row can be converted. Finally, as stated above, going to the Table Inspector, one can "freeze" the rows in place!
    Thanks for this discussion, I too have been trying to do this for a long time.

14. BeeS4335 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, all is now clear. You have Numbers 09 which does allow row freezing. I have Numbers 08 that doesn't. Still, I'm very grateful to you. I'll post this on the forum too so others are in the know.

15. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Yes, it's one of those basic operations that makes all the difference in the use of the sheet.

I'm a n00b when it comes to _all_ things Mac, really. Some of my ideas and ways of doing things are MS Word-informed/inspired.

16. Pumpkinml macrumors newbie

Yea!! Problem solved. However, disappointment endures. I have iworks version 2008 which, according to previous post input, and my experience, doesn't allow for freezing header or columns. Rats. Thank you all for your input. At least I know not to waste my time on it anymore.

17. rnjstevens macrumors newbie

rnjstevens

Freezing headers in numbers 09

Hi All

I figured out how to add a header row, however when I go to inspector and click table then do the drop down to freeze the header, the only option at the bottom is to " repeat header rows on each page "

Any one have any help on this one,

Thanks

Rob

18. Mac Luv-er macrumors newbie

Sir Lion Steak

..You saved my life today. I looked EVERYWHERE for the answer and thanks for the screenshots- that made a big difference!!:D

19. stefanradev macrumors newbie

IWorks 08 - Numbers - "Freezing" Column Headings Possible?

:)It works great also in iWork 09!
    Thank you Sir Lion!

20. hepcat72 macrumors newbie

Well, it's no solution, but I found a way to mitigate the inability to freeze header rows in iWork 08.

If you just have a bunch of rows and the newest ones are on the bottom of the sheet - and you are only working on the bottom of the sheet, you can select all the upper rows and use that same sub-menu accessed from hovering over the row number to hide them. That way, you don't have to keep scrolling to the top to see what column you're in.

Rob