iWorks 08 Pages, TOC and figure list?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cpklas, Jun 18, 2008.

1. cpklas macrumors newbie

Hi!

I am writing my thesis in Pages 08. I need to have a TOC for all my headlines and I am using the TOC function for that. The problem is that I also want a figure list that updates automatically, TOC style. I can't find ant function for a figure list so I tried to give the figure text a different paragraph style then the regular headlines and then simply add a second TOC showing only that style. Unfortunately that did not work either since Pages only seem to allow one TOC per document. Anyone know an workaround?

Thanks,
    Carl

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Could you just duplicate the document, then generate the figure list, and copy and paste into the original?

3. cpklas thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm yeah, that's an idea... don't know if I can copy and paste it as text, but if not I can take a picture of the list and then use that file in my thesis.

Thanks for the hint, but it is a workaround, anyone know if this is possible to do "the right way"?

Thanks

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible. The main issue is that Pages doesn't include the contents of text boxes in the TOC, and normally the title of figure is going to be in a text box (at least that's the way I do it). Even if you don't title your figures this way, the figure page references in the TOC are going to be integrated into the TOC by page number, and not listed separately. I've concluded that for practical purposes, figure lists have to be done manually.

5. Mekgek macrumors member

Aiii I have all my titles in text boxes now for some document. But pages can't read things from textboxes for the TOC. Very annoying, I hope this gets fixed in a future version.