iWorks documents massively over-sized

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Benbikeman, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

I have a 440k Word document on my Mac. When I open this in Pages and save it as a Pages document it becomes 1.7Mb. However, when I upload it to iWorks, it suddenly becomes 206Mb!

I know that it automatically generates three versions - Word, Pages and PDF - but even so should still only be 2-3Mb total. Yet it's 100 times bigger! The same happens with other documents.

Aside from the much-increased upload times, it also means that my iCloud storage isn't going to go very far.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Not checked file sizes, but am definitely not seeing this to such an extent. Have got 11.6Mb of Pages docs which seems reasonable.

Does it store the document as all 3 formats?, I had assumed they are stored as one format and processed into other formats when downloaded.

3. Benbikeman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

When you upload from the Mac, there are status messages showing it creating the other formats, so it does seem to embed them all within a single file. Not that this explains the massive size, of course.