"i'y" is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by james92se, Jul 18, 2010.

1. james92se macrumors 6502a

I've had iPhones since day one back in 2007, and each one has always had little quirks as far as the auto-correction on the text-messaging.

My 2G would always change "with" to "Witt" which was annoying.

My 3G would repeatedly change "for" to "fir", which kind of drove me crazy.

My new iPhone 4 repeatedly changes "it" to "i'y" which REALLY drives me crazy. It does it probably 60% of the time and far more often than my older iPhones used to mis-auto-correct things.

What in the world is "i'y" anyway??? Is anybody else getting "i'y"?

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I've never had my iPhones change legitimate words to other words like that. There have been times where I've typed a word incorrectly with some letters out of order and accidentally told it the word was spelled correctly. This made subsequent instances of that word get auto-completed with my wrong spelling because that's what I taught it.

3. dalee18 macrumors newbie

That's really strange. I've never seen any of the substitutions you describe.

4. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Is there a way to add words to the dictionary or delete the dictionary in case it tries to correct too much?

5. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, but there is a reset that implies it would do it.

Settings/General/Reset/Reset Keyboard Dictionary

I don't know if that's new to ios4, but I don't recall seeing it before.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Correcting it once or twice (tapping the little x that bubbles next to the word) should correct the problem.

Going into and reseting the keyboard will only erase the memory and you will need to correct the problem again.

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'm not sure you can "teach" it new words, either. I know I could on my Blackberry, but if it were possible on the iPhone, I'd have to think that all of my eleventy thousand corrections of "he'll" back to the "hell" that I'd actually intended to type would have taken SOME kind of effect by now. However, a certain other obscenity no longer changes to "ducking" automatically anymore, which is nice.

8. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

It is a learning dictionary...I often use things like "Yooooooooo" to summon ones attention in a text message. It now inserts it as son as I type "yo" Seems to take a few instances , maybe 3 or 4 , till it learns

9. lawrence32 macrumors member

I love the auto correction for "pimped". I have forgotten to fix that a few times in my texts lol

10. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

11. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Mine is smart, doesn't do things you describe. And it does learn new words, after I type them in a couple of times.

12. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

`

Mine does me to mr. Pisses me off every time!

13. LoLife macrumors regular

I've heard, not actually tried, but to have your phone learn NEW words all you have to do is go in to safari and in the top right hand corner googlel the word that you want your dictonary to learn. If anyone knows how to fix the auto correct from happening everytime please let me know, I hate the hell to he'll and the me to mr

14. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

Far and away the most annoying one is when I actually type 'fir' but mean 'for'

Happens entirely too frequently and wish I could set it to autocorrect to 'for'

Also, when intending to type 'i', sometimes I hit 'j'. Why on earth would it just leave that as j?

End rant

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco