IZGO screens on 2014 Macbook Retinas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaclandValhalla, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MaclandValhalla macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

Aside from improved battery life, smaller bezels, and increased touch-screen sensitivity, are there are any advantages to IZGO screens? Will they have higher pixel density or be easier to see in direct sunlight?

As an aside: With the next Macbooks having touch-friendlier IZGO screens, is there any chance that Apple will withhold touch screens from their professional laptop line?

2. Tibits macrumors regular

They allow time travel and will instantly increase the life expectancy of the user by 20 years.

3. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to be thinner, which I think you allude to with your bezel comment.

As for the second part of your question, I do not think they will make touch screen displays for the macbook pros anytime soon. I believe it is a gimmick feature like "3D" was for some phones and countless TVs. Holding up my hand to a 15 inch monitor is gonna tire one out soon.

4. MaclandValhalla thread starter macrumors member

MaclandValhalla

If they don't have higher resolution and they aren't less straining for the eyes, I don't understand why everyone wants them so badly, especially considering your speculation on the continued lack of touch screens.

Do you know what the fuss is about? Battery life is already all-day.

5. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Battery life isn't all day on the high end machines, that's absurd. You can drain the rMBP 15" battery in about an hour if you're serious about it.

That may not matter to you, but this is much like talking about Broadwell's 30% load power consumption decrease; when you use less power you have the option to increase performance. IGZO displays we've seen so far (like the ones Dell is using) are 20% brighter than the rMBP's display (400 vs 325).

They are also capable of higher pixel density without increasing the power hit (at least at the display end of things).

Personally I have zero interest in seeing higher density displays on these machines beyond where we are now (you'd barely notice the difference and we're already struggling to do basic UI animation at these resolutions with current hardware). I hope Apple brings us IGZO at the same resolutions (and ratio) and reaps the power and brightness advantages instead.

6. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

My guess is MBP screens stay the same at least for another year.

But Apple may implement IGZO tech in a 2014 retina macbook Air. The profile of the MBA would really require that type of tech to push retina and maintain battery-life numbers.

To that end, this site posted rumors about a 12" retina macbook Air launching in 2014.

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Unless the screen could turn 180 degress turning rMBP into an iPadPro... like the surface pro, but with bigger resolution.