J. Cole Breaks Apple Music First-Day Streaming Record as Apple Plans Country Music Push in Nashville

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Music has been the focus of numerous record-breaking reports in recent weeks, and the latest comes from rapper J. Cole after he broke the service's record for most album streams in the first 24 hours in the United States. In total, subscribers streamed J. Cole's fifth album "KOD" 64.5 million times on Friday, April 20, surpassing Drake's "Views" -- the previous record holder -- by almost 1 million streams.

Apple reported the numbers to The Verge, also stating that seven of the top 10 most streamed songs in a 24-hour period on Apple Music are all from "KOD." In total, Apple Music represented 66 percent of first-day streams for "KOD" in the U.S. and 60 percent worldwide, edging out streaming competitors like Spotify in terms of streams for J. Cole's latest album.

[​IMG]

Earlier in April, Cardi B broke Apple Music's record for most first-week streams by a female artist, surpassing 100 million streams. The rapper's numbers grew so rapidly after "Invasion of Privacy" launched that she beat Taylor Swift's streaming record, launching the album into Apple Music's fifth most-streamed album ever.

As Apple Music continues to grow, one analyst predicted that the service will keep up its progress and average 40 percent growth each year for the next three years. Apple Music currently sits at just over 40 million subscribers, so analyst Ben Schachter's prediction puts the streaming music service at over 100 million paid subscribers sometime in 2021. Given Apple Music's steady growth, that milestone could happen even sooner.

J. Cole's success with "KOD" follows Carl Chery's exit from Apple Music to Spotify. As head of hip-hop programming, Chery was instrumental in garnering success for Apple Music in the hip-hop/rap genres, helping to discover artists like Khalid, 6LACK, and Post Malone. At Spotify, Chery will reportedly work on the service's RapCaviar playlist and bolster Spotify's hip-hop presence in much the same way as he did for Apple Music.

In a separate report from Variety this morning, Apple is said to be gearing up for a bigger push into country music by moving Apple Music's Jay Liepis to Nashville. In the city, Liepis will lead a team "dedicated to being more involved with artists, managers, songwriters and the label community at large." Later in 2018, Apple will open an office in Nashville with the hopes of keeping "an eye on closer relations" with the country music industry, as well as other genres growing out of Nashville, including rock, pop, Christian/gospel, Americana, and hip-hop.

Article Link: J. Cole Breaks Apple Music First-Day Streaming Record as Apple Plans Country Music Push in Nashville

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I've coined a new word for Apple Music: Crapform. It's a platform where crap can thrive.

3. shadowbird423 macrumors 6502

shadowbird423

It's a great album that challenges rap culture to grow up a bit. If you like rap, you'll love it.

4. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

It seems like there is a piece about new Apple Music record every other week, and they are mostly rap/hip-hop...

5. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

First it's rap, now its twang pop.

How about pushing something with some actual meaning and value, Jimmy?

6. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Apple Music is becoming Tidal.

7. rmimac macrumors newbie

I was just thinking this, but if they're increasing their membership by 2 million a month or whatever the latest stat is, it's not that surprising. Only when that number starts to plateau will daily record breaking numbers really be apples to apples

8. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I think mainly because rap/hip hop/pop are the only albums coming out.. most of the people on this forum are from the older generation who either already own the albums they listen to or listen to music that’s not really mainstream for the current generation. Rap/hip-hop/Pop is the top musuc genres

9. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Just because you don’t like a particular music genre it’s crap? Ok.

10. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

Have you looked at the music charts lately? It's almost all Hip-Hop. Hip hop his the new rock, as they say.

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

It's not the genre (though I don't like that). It's actually the very notion of having a record. There's millions of artists out there. While this one received 60M listens, how many did the rest have?

I'm all for meritocracy, but this isn't it - if this guy was really the greatest and his music was all that needed to exist, so be it. Even if this guy is the greatest in his genre though, there's still every other genre out there.

Spotify really does a fantastic job of focusing on individual listeners and making personalized playlists for all of them. They do a great job of getting listens for all artists.

Apple Music is just the radio all over again. Focus on the most popular genre and forget about anything else. Cycle through a few dozen tracks per year, ignore the rest. Build up a star or two, and leave everyone else to starve.

12. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

Country music is the most popular radio format in America. It stands to reason that Apple Music set up shop in Music City, USA. Also its where BMI and ASCAP also have offices along with dozens of other labels of all stripes. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that it didn't happen sooner.

13. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

What genres would you suggest?

14. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

You are seriously projecting. None of what you wrote makes any sense. People streamed Cole's album 65 million times. That has nothing to do with being the greatest, needing to be the only music that exists. What does that even mean?:confused:
    Apple is simply advertising their service as "the service to be on if you want to be heard". It's pretty simple. This is about speaking to artist more than customers. I don't even use Apple Music (GPM for the win), but none of what you're talking about is... honestly, I've re-read several times and still have no idea what you're talking about.

15. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

I'd take drunkards doing karaoke at this point.

16. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

What thoughtful discourse

17. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

This has nothing to do with the article, unless you mean Hip-Hop music, which is funny because every other competitor has the same music

Because that's the music trend right now, don't like it? Then start making your own music in another genre to compete with it

The Apple executives don't make music... so what exactly is Jimmy supposed to do?

18. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I know Apple prot
    I know Apple promotes certain music but they didn’t force 60 million streams. That many streams means that people listened and then liked it so much that they needed to listen a few more times. I’m not blaming Apple for that.

19. Teammm macrumors member

Teammm

Not surprising since Hip-Hop/Rap is the most streamed genre of music and keep those platforms in business.

20. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

Popularity != quality.

I thought so as well.

Promote stuff that isn't aural garbage.

21. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

your opinion of quality ≠ market

22. rmimac macrumors newbie

Oh I definitely agree that it's hip hop/rap/pop albums mainly and younger generations are more inclined to both stream and listen to these genres. Although I'm genuinely curious - why do you believe that most people on this forum are from the older generation? I'll admit I don't comment/read too many comments on here, and although I'm labeled a "macrumors newbie", i've been on here since prob '03 or so when I was in high school...making me an early 30s guy...so I'm making the transition to not recognizing some of these artists as well! ;)

23. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Even if you don't personally like or prefer rap/hip-hop, it's had a larger impact on American popular music than any other genre, and that includes rock.

24. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Do we really need these articles, first of it's news of little importance, next many MR readers are non Americans where Hiphop/Rap is not mainstream or like here not really liked much.