jabber based server and client application in cocoa

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Monaj, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Monaj macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have implemented an application which supports text chat. Now I want to implement voice chat and later video chat in it, but I have less time provided by client :(
    So I am planning to go for some open source code in cocoa, which I can use and easily in-corporate in my application.

After analysis over net I found that Jabber related client/ chat server application should be best according to my requirements.

I have found that there are several jabber based client-server application but mostly written in java, C or C++.

Can anyone suggest me some links or code for cocoa based, jabber server and client application??

Also I want to ask that lets say I got server application in C and client application in cocoa, then will I be able to transmit text, multimedia messages between client nodes??

Thanks,

Monaj

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The whole point of having a protocol like XMPP is that any server can talk to any client. It doesn't matter what language it's written in, so just use one of the java servers.

As for voice and video... good luck. You've got an enormous amount of work to do to get those working.

Adium has open source code for dealing with Jabber, but be aware that it's GPL, and not legal for use in commercial closed source applications.