Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Odd thread but no where else I can think to get info... Years ago I used to use Jabber with iChat AV under Tiger, and it worked great. Now, throughout 2020 I used iChat on Snow Leopard to connect to my XMPP account and it again worked great, just as it had 10 years prior. Fired up an older Tiger install and opened iChat to see I still had my XMPP settings saved. However it will not connect. It throws an error about SSL "
An unexpected SSL error occured.

[-9844]"
Turning off SSL doesn't seem to do anything, it just says could not connect to Jabber without any specific error. Anyone know why this is and if it's at all possible to use Tiger's iChat anymore, with XMPP or another service?

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Looked into it a bit more this morning and it seems to be a problem with certificates that is not easily fixable. Got on my server and made sure the configurations for the XMPP ports were cleared and they were. Tried on a number of Tiger computers running various version and all the same.

Now it will hinge on whether someone has or will make a modded client as has been done with MSN Messenger.

I’m exhuming this thread to ask our distinguished community whether anyone here may be aware of a known XMPP server which will build successfully and run on a PowerPC — optimally, on at least Leopard. I’m aware of Macports hosting the source for ejabberd, jabberd, and prosody, but none of these will build, as-is, from a port install command. There may be other open-source project out there which are not listed in Macports, but has been known to build on older OS X versions.

A personal motivation for building an XMPP server for use on a PowerPC Mac is to be able to configure it to allow/permit older XMPP clients like Adium and iChat to be able to log onto a home-compiled/installed server and, ultimately, to use that server as a way to add other XMPP users to one’s list — much the way one once could with little fuss (especially so when most folks’ Jabber/XMPP go-to was their Google Talk/gmail account).

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Bitlbee (which i already compiled for 10.5). :)
XMPP is supported by default.
It should work with adium's irc plugin. I dont know about using the "messenger" plugins in adium though. However your "contacts" do show up in a separate irc tab/window when using an irc client to connect to it.

(not my photos. used as examples)
bitlbee20100711.png

imguide4.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Bitlbee (which i already compiled for 10.5). :)
XMPP is supported by default.
It should work with adium's irc plugin. I dont know about using the "messenger" plugins in adium though. However your "contacts" do show up in a separate irc tab/window when using an irc client to connect to it.

(not my photos. used as examples)
bitlbee20100711.png

imguide4.jpg

Cheers

Thanks for this, and for a client, I’ll look into giving this a whirl.

Do you know of any working XMPP server software projects which can/will build successfully in a PowerPC environment? The trio I mentioned which I found on Macports all run into particular troubles with certain dependencies not building successfully. Cheers.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Technically bitlbee is an ircd server. You connect to it with an irc client. It's the only thing i know of that builds and works.

Screen shot 2022-11-19 at 9.39.09 PM.png

Cheers

Last edited:

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Thanks for this, and for a client, I’ll look into giving this a whirl.

Do you know of any working XMPP server software projects which can/will build successfully in a PowerPC environment? The trio I mentioned which I found on Macports all run into particular troubles with certain dependencies not building successfully. Cheers.

If prosody serves your needs, I have fixed everything for it to build, updated prosody and built it too.
May not work on new MacOS, but on 10.6 PPC I have it now. No idea what to do with it though, so testing is on somebody else :)

You will likely need these three:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.