Jabra Elite Sport

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by geraldem, Jan 8, 2017.

1. geraldem macrumors regular

Anyone else get the Jabra Elite Sport earbuds? I have been testing the AirPods and they have been really frustrating (crackling, disconnects.etc). But I see these Jabra's on sale today at Best Buy ...so might go pick up a pair to test out. Any good/bad experiences with them out there?

2. nikeagogo macrumors newbie

nikeagogo

At that price, I think they're definitely worth checking out.

My experience has been mostly positive, with the negatives really just being minor hiccups and seemingly random occurrences. These things include the earpods not automatically syncing up when I remove them from the case. 9/10 times they connect when I open and remove them from the case, ready to go, but occasionally they do not and I have to manually power them up. If I power them down and don't return them to the case, when I go to turn them back on occasionally the left earpod does not sync up. I have to return them to the case, which powers them down, and then take them back out. This actually seems to happen fairly often in this scenario, so I am inclined to think this is a bug of some sort and possibly fixed with an update. I usually have the case on me, anyways, so this isn't a real issue for me. I would be curious to hear from others if they have noticed this behavior, but it has happened across two different pairs.

Outside of these little things, when I go to use them they are solid. They sound good and I am actually pretty impressed by the sound quality for a Bluetooth option. The connection holds, range is good, and I have not experienced any stuttering or dropouts using them. They hold a charge of roughly 3 hours - which I find adequate - and the case is supposed to hold an additional 6 hours which seems accurate from my time. Having an adequate seal and inline controls were a must for me, so this is definitely a positive. They fit snug, if not mildly uncomfortable at first, and there are no worries about them falling out when running. The microphone quality was described as alright, but I was in a pretty quiet envrionment when I tested them.

I've only used the Jabra Sports Life app a few times, so I can't really comment on it too much. You can utilize a few other apps, like Strava, and make use of the heart rate monitor through that. While the app is a pretty simple affair, it seems like it'd be pretty useful for the cardio driven individual. Another user on here mentioned that the heart rate monitor seemed to be really off for them, but mine seems more accurate than not. If you require as accurate a reading as possible, a chest strap hrm is still your best bet.

Overall, I am really happy with them and feel them a worthy alternative to the Airpods if you are interested in other options. Best Buy is good about returns, anyways, so worth checking out.

3. xthine macrumors regular

xthine

More feedback here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpods-vs-bragi-dash-vs-jabra-elite-sport.2023019/page-2

Have not experienced crackling with Jabra Elite Sport.

I have encountered what nikeagogo mentioned above, was using just the right earbud and I guess the left earbud went into sleep mode so when I put it back on it would not wake up, had to return both buds to the case (when i finally got home) before the left earbud reconnected. This has happened only once so far.

Elite Sport sounds better than the Airpods (at least to me). The audio transparency does not work as well as I hoped so I end up just using one earbud at a time when I use it (for trail running). Takes some getting used to hearing the sounds of your feet while running on rocks (with audio transparency on). Have not had any issues with battery life since I've only used it for about 2 hours max. The Find my Jabra feature is pretty cool and works well (see other thread).

I don't often use Elite Sport for fitness tracking since I have a Garmin. There's no Trail Running option to I ended up just selecting 'Run' and I've taken it on hikes, it still calculates the v02 max. The V02 max I am getting from Jabras are different from what I get with the Garmin. Used for a 3 mile run on pavement, the Jabras registered 36, the Garmin registered a 43 v02max.

I like that you can add a picture to your activity in the Jabra Sport app, also shows your pace, speed, cadence, training effect, distance, calories, average pace, shows on the map where you are and the corresponding heart rate zone. Jabra has a Strava group that's pretty active (mostly runners).

The Elite Sport fits well even if you press the controls, it may be near impossible to operate though if you wear them with thick gloves. At times tricky to stop and pause an activity with the earbud.

4. geraldem thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both for the detail and amount of feedback on these. I have not picked up yet, but been debating with myself. I have been enjoying the AirPods on my S7 Edge, as they work much better with them than the iPhone. Might pick these up tomorrow for a comparison.

again..thank you both so much for the time and info!

5. Des19n macrumors newbie

I would not consider this product at all. Stick to the the tried and tested product Luke Bose, Sony or B&O. I bought this brand new in the box and it failed after 2 months. After sale will not deal with you regardless whether you have an original box with serial number or not. I was stuck with a $350Aud ear plugs only after 2 months of usage. Even whilst it was working, it did not hit the expectation of a $300 plus ear buds.
    The Bass was poor, the fit was poor(after trying different size silicon nipples provided)
    In a nut shell, save your money and explore else where....