Jade Goody dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blakely028, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

2. thecritix macrumors 6502

I'm sorry I just can't stand how hypocritical everyone is being.

She's a racist! Does no one now remember the Shilpa Shetty incident?

She's done well providing for her children with the publicity but she's basically queen of the scum in England, all the scum love her and look up to her.

It's awful that someone like this should be a role model and that young women now seek to emulate her 'success' rather than seeking to better themselves by working hard at school or by become doctors or scientists.

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Isn't it nice to see someone taking something positive from such a sad thing....!

A mother dies on Mother's Day and you feel like berating her!

My mother always taught me, 'if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all....'

(Yes, i see the slight hypocrisy in this statement but it's better to be a hypocrite than someone so negative)

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Now that is a load of bollocks.

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Perhaps you should all get off your upper class horses......

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

RIP Jade :(
    I wasn't keen on many of her decisions throughout the last few years but who am I to judge.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:confused:

I point out that hypocricy is wrong, no matter what and you accuse me (of who you know less than zero) as uperclass.

Chip. Shoulder. Much?

:rolleyes:

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Well, I woke up and thought it was a shame, especially on Mother's Day :(

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Wow, Mother's day is March in the UK.
    Learn something new every day.

Mothering Sunday for those who were momentarily confused like myself.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

What about all the other people who have died today from cancer?

Where are their headlines?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I doubt if anyone here is "upper class".

They weren't obnoxious enough to merit a headline.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No, but my horse is.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Very true. Plus they didn't have an obnoxious manager milking everything for all it's worth.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Upper class" is not the same as "high"...

;)

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm not keen on Jade (my partner is obsessed with her) but it's fair to say her racist comments reflected her lack of education (not her fault) rather than any prejudice.

It's notable that she profusely apologised afterwards, and her and Shetty have visited each other at home several times since. (Shetty flew in to see her recently.)

I'm cynical about the publicity. I think it mainly served to enrichen and further the career of Max Clifford, who is a walking slimebag.

Someone made a good point - why is it laudable for a highly educated person to make a big thing out of dying slowly, with public appearances, books, genteel interviews etc, whereas a poorly educated person gets criticised for doing exactly the same thing?

Jade had her faults, but she took what little she had and went a long way with it.

I've heard, I don't know if it's true, that she had an excellent work ethic - she turned up on time, returned calls, co-operated with staff, etc. Stuff like that goes a long way with media people - they like reliable people, not whiny wannabes who always turn up late.

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

what did she actually do? I know she was on big brother and that she was accused of making a racial slur, but did she actually do anything constructive for society?

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Seems like she had two beautiful children. That's something positive :).

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

She got her bits out on the TV. Sadly, a sure fire way to fame and fortune in the UK.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Meh. That argument gets trotted out every time someone you don't like gets a mention in the paper. We had a couple of days of weeping over Natasha Richardson in the broadsheets, and I didn't have a clue who she was.

Jade Goody took her chance and made the most of it. Reading some comments here, you get the idea that some would like the proles kept in their place... except very few here have had the upbringing she did:

I think it's a sad story, but it's helped persuade many more young women to have smear tests. It doesn't cost anything to have a charitable thought for her and her kids today.

20. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

She was a person first and foremost. She may have lacked the sophisticated background to overcome or hide the racism that is a natural instinct for everyone.

I understand your dismay but you don't need to be a hypocrite to feel for her.

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Never heard of her until now. So she was famous for being famous. While it's unfortunate that someone so young had to endure all that, I don't see a need for any exceptional regrets because of who she was. I'll reserve my sympathy today for the families of Mark Dunakin, Ervin Romans, Daniel Sakai, and Jon Hege.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I was unaware of just how awful her childhood circumstances were. That's quite a journey.

23. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Since August she has done alot to raise the profile of cervical cancer and the importance of smear tests.

24. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Putting aside people's perception of Jade Goody, I think if there is a point to be made out of all of this then this is probably it.

I was unaware until a friend told me last week that there is currently debate in the UK about the raising (or at least not reducing) the minimum age for smear tests for cervical cancer. She has at least brought this to the public's attention and in some way might make a difference for other young women going forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.