Jaggies/Blur upon capture caused by...???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LukeTruth, Sep 21, 2009.

1. LukeTruth macrumors newbie

Thanks for reading! My footage has motion jaggies, the kind that you can pause on the right frame and see the combing clear as day. It doesn't matter whether I open it in FCP or QT, it looks the same in both. Here's what I know:

Shot on a Sony DSR-PDX10. Standard definition. 16:9 aspect ratio.

The firewire port on the Sony is dead so I have to use a different camcorder to capture with, a Panasonic PV-GS180.

I just bought a WD My Book Studio 1TB and am using that as my scratch drive.

Captured onto 15" MBP Unibody with FCP6 using the following configuration:

Camcorder to MBP via FW800
    MBP to External HDD via USB
    (Is this right or should I connect the camcorder directly to the HDD?)

Capture settings: Tried DV NTSC 48kHz and DV NTSC 48kHz Anamorphic. (I believe this Sony is one of the camcorders that shoots in 853 x 480 so perhaps the problem resides here in my capture settings.)

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

SD is interlaced. Computer monitors are not designed to properly display interlaced material. How does the footage look when played back on a regular, SD TV?

Lethal

3. LukeTruth thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just exported it deinterlaced and it looks fine. I haven't started editing this material yet. Should i do all my editing just ignoring the blurriness or apply a deinterlacing filter to the whole thing?

Some of my final output will be for web and some for dvd.