Jaguar and Canon Pixma MX850 help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trackpoint, Mar 15, 2010.

1. trackpoint macrumors newbie

For reasons too complicated to explain I am using Jaguar 10.2.8 and need to find a driver to allow printing with the MX850. In some places the MX850 is listed as compatible with 10.2.8, and in other places not.

Curiously there is a download for an MX850 firmware upgrade for 10.2.8, but no driver anywhere. Even a call to Canon did not resolve that oddity.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

trackpoint

2. trackpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate it that a number of people have read this thread, but unfortunately there are no easy answers forthcoming.

The thing that is confusing about this whole scenario is that Canon has a firmware upgrade for the Canon MX 850 that works on Jaguar 10.2.8, but provides no driver, nor apparent compatibility. That confuses my layman's mind.

Also there is a CUPS driver that seems to be for 10.2.8, but there is no explanation as to what significance its installation would have for a system on Jaguar.

In the meantime, I'm looking on craigslist for the same Canon Pixma 780, Jaguar compliant, that I foolishly gave away to a friend.

Thanks to all Thinkpadders..

Taichi

3. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Do you have the Jaguar install disk? Under 'Optional' or 'Extras' it usually has printer drivers amongst other things.

Edit: Just checked on my Jaguar install disks. On disk two there's a .pkg file entitled "CanonPrinterDrivers" which may have what you're looking for.

4. trackpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

I did as you suggested, in full knowledge that the mx 850 came out later than my Jaguar installation disk.

Unfortunately, no go.

Thanks,

taichi

5. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

It would appear the driver is only available for 10.3 or later. I'd suggest upgrading to Panther or Tiger, or even Leopard. If I may ask, why is it that you're using Jaguar?

6. trackpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Jaguar and Canon Pixma MX850 help

A fair question.

I have a lot of important legal emails in my filing cabinet, and on new mail. Even though I have cloned the drive using Superduper, I'm worried about losing these emails prior to printing out, if I upgrade to 10.4 which I have on hand.

Looks like Craigslist.

Thanks,

taichi

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

your ~/library/mail folder contains that stuff :)

8. trackpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I'm using CompuServe software? I believe CompuServe has its own filing cabinet, and filing cabinet transplants are frequently unsuccessful.

Taichi

9. trackpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Jaguar and Canon Pixma MX850 help

The devilishly confusing part of all of this is why Canon makes a 10.2.8 firmware upgrade for the Canon MX850, but no driver?

Confused in LA,

taichi

10. trackpoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Jaguar and Canon Pixma MX850

I am looking into other options since I can't seem to find a workaround, but why has Canon supplied a 10.2.8 firmware upgrade for the MX850 if it's not meant to work on Jaguar?

Curiouser and curiouser as Lewis Carroll would say.

Trackpoint