Jaguar install hangs on keyboard selection step

Discussion in 'macOS' started by someguy, Dec 5, 2009.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Hey all. I am at trying to fix an iBook G4 running Jaguar and am having trouble.

It was brought in because it would boot straight to the Console. I followed the directions here in Michael Conniff's first two posts and was able to get as far as the initial OS X setup process.

I select my language, choose not to use the migration assistant, and then I come to the screen where I select my keyboard layout. I select "US" and click continue, but nothing happens..

The "Continue" button becomes greyed out, but the setup process never progresses. A Google search resulted in someone stating that it may be looking for an internet connection and to try it with and without a network cable plugged in. Nothing seems to work.

I can even hit the "Back" button and navigate through the setup screens, but cannot progress beyond this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Keep in mind, I don't have the original Jaguar installation disk handy, unfortunately.

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

If it really is a G4 iBook, rather than an earlier model, the first one came out with OSX10.3 Panther installed not OSX10.2 Jaguar which may be why you are having problems. It will run up to OSX 10.4.11.
    I'd try a retail Panther install disk.

MacTracker (Freeware) is handy for the different models.
    http://www.mactracker.ca/

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

This machine belongs to a customer of mine who insisted it had Jaguar on it. I thought otherwise, but wasn't sure.

I do have a Panther disk. I'll give that a shot. Her Home folder is backed up anyways, so I may just use the Panther disk to do a fresh install.

Thanks for the help! :)

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

This is off-point but it reminded me of how I hated the then-new Finder of Panther. And the increased flattening of Aqua... Maybe she will hate it as well, although I am rather obsessive about GUIs.