Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I reinstalled Jaguar the other day for fun (I was REALLY bored).

I've had the computer lock up once or twice since then and had to force-restart. Normally this means waiting at least five minutes for the reboot while the disk runs fsck. Since the reinstall, though, it either runs fsck really fast or not at all.

Any thoughts? I reformatted the disk but OS X is good about keeping things unfragmented, and I seriously doubt a lack of fragmentation would make any difference in running fsck.

I'm not worried, it's kind of nice, but it's kind of weird at the same time. :D

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Jaguar reinstall--this is weird

Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe

the install CD detects fun. when it does, it screws up the install. to end your fun, you know.

it's a feature.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
After a fresh initialisation any disk check will take a fraction of the time it took when full of jumbled up and fragmented files. Mac OS X is not good about fragmentation. Disks still get horribly fragmented, its jsut that as an Operating system, fragmentation doesn't affect it much. It does affect the speed of a disk check such as fsck though.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Re: Jaguar reinstall--this is weird

Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe

I did that right after WWDC, just to get a clean machine going for the months before Panther. There definitely is an element of fun to it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.