Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Woopee! I have my copy of Jag :D
...now...what to do...

I have currently running 10.1.5 with quite a bit of stuff installed, inc. alot of X tweaks tools that now won't work with Jag from what I've heard. :(
So...do you think I'd be ok just upgating to 10.2 or would I be better to start a fresh with a clean install of 9.2 then 10.2?
At the moment I'm thinking I'll wipe it and start a fresh, but do you think it's worth it? Would I notice a difference? Would it just be a good idea because then I wouldn't have lots of X tweaks installed trying to run that can't?

Your opinions would be appriciated.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Re: Jaguar: To upgrade to wipe and clean install?

Originally posted by verbose101
Woopee! I have my copy of Jag :D
...now...what to do...

I have currently running 10.1.5 with quite a bit of stuff installed, inc. alot of X tweaks tools that now won't work with Jag from what I've heard. :(
So...do you think I'd be ok just upgating to 10.2 or would I be better to start a fresh with a clean install of 9.2 then 10.2?
At the moment I'm thinking I'll wipe it and start a fresh, but do you think it's worth it? Would I notice a difference? Would it just be a good idea because then I wouldn't have lots of X tweaks installed trying to run that can't?

Your opinions would be appriciated.

imo, i think that this will prevent any install problems like it being slow, etc..

it is always best to do this sort of thing instead of upgrading to a major release, like jaguar...

good luck!

-f

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
doing a clean install... does that erase your users folder (and with it the pictures/movies/etc folders?)

thanks for the info
I would presume so, isn't that what doing a 'clean' install is?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well...I've made up my mind...I'm gonna format.
I think I've remembered everything I needed to backup...wish me luck! I could be off-line for quite some time :(

flanders

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
yeah, a clean install will format and erase everything. make sure you backup your data and your home directory first! or DOH! you'll be missing stuff.

actually, this is one thing i really like about osx. it's designed to have almost anything you change in your home directory. not like my (and YOUR) os9 installs with everything everywhere.

i'm going to backup my home directory and install CLEAN!!!! YAY!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I've just finished my clean installs of both OS 9.2 and 10.2, now to reinstall all those applications!
But it'll be worth it, Jaguar is just so snappy! Very impressed so far.
Shrinking a playing DVD to the dock is as smooth as if it were a terminal window or TextEdit document, it's awsome!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Man, I probably won't get Jaguar until the end of the year.

If I had it with me (and IF I was with my precious Cube :D) I would transfer everything I need to my iBook, erase the Cube Hard Drive and install, all while doing this from my rapid-fire CD-RW (40X CD-ROM :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.