Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWEngineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
I'm having a small issue with a program in Java at my MAC OS X 10.5.8 version.

In the Java program, I'm having a class, namely "DicomImageReaderParam" that needs JAI in the CLASSPATH.

How can I set that up provided that I knew that MAC OS X's Java has a JAI and Java3D extension.

Can you tell me just how can I set that up?

Thanks.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I'm having a small issue with a program in Java at my MAC OS X 10.5.8 version.
Exactly what is the "small issue"?

If there's an error message or stack trace, post it.

If your class needs a specific version of JAI or Java3D, then post that, too.

How can I set that up provided that I knew that MAC OS X's Java has a JAI and Java3D extension.
If you knew that those libraries were extensions, then you'd do nothing to set anything up. They would already be installed as extensions.

Extensions do not appear in CLASSPATH, by which I mean the environment variable CLASSPATH or the -classpath parameter (also known as the "user classpath"). If that's the issue, or related to the issue, then don't look for them in CLASSPATH.

The following is an approximately correct description of how classes are found:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/findingclasses.html

It's only approximate because it fails to say that the extensions dir is actually a list of dirs rather than a single dir, and that the list is defined by the "java.ext.dir" property, and that the default value of that property can differ across platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.