Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilunleashed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
United States
Hi... currently, I have the Iphone 4 and signed up for the 2 GB + tethering through AT&T. I know there isn't a jailbreak option yet for tethering, but my question is... if there were one in the near future, how will I be able to escape the fact that At&t does monitor data usage for internet? Not that I would use more than 2 GB a month, but lets say I did use 3 GB of data one month through some third party jail break application. Wouldn't At&t know that I am using such data through their service? If I drop their tethering service, yet use tethering through a jail break application, won't AT&T still be able to tell I am using the internet?

I hope the question makes sense? Thanks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, they will obviously know you used more than the 2GB you're allowed and charge you extra if you go over. They have always measured the data amount you used they just didnt bill you before cause all we had was unlimited data plans.
I think they also send you texts or other notifications when you're close to reaching your 2GB limit or the 200mb according to your package.
Just when you tether try not to go over 2GB. Log into your Mywireless AT&T app to find out how much data you used up at any time and how many days left on your billing cycle.

Wilunleashed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
United States
Yes, they will obviously know you used more than the 2GB you're allowed and charge you extra if you go over. They have always measured the data amount you used they just didnt bill you before cause all we had was unlimited data plans.
I think they also send you texts or other notifications when you're close to reaching your 2GB limit or the 200mb according to your package.
Just when you tether try not to go over 2GB. Log into your Mywireless AT&T app to find out how much data you used up at any time and how many days left on your billing cycle.

Thanks for the info. So really if you don't have an "unlimited" plan, than tethering for free through a jail break option is pretty useless since AT&T will know that you're using more data you are paying for. I don't see how jailbreaking it to tether is beneficial anymore UNLESS you have "unlimited" usage which I don't.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for the info. So really if you don't have an "unlimited" plan, than tethering for free through a jail break option is pretty useless since AT&T will know that you're using more data you are paying for. I don't see how jailbreaking it to tether is beneficial anymore UNLESS you have "unlimited" usage which I don't.

Well you can still tether unofficially just gotta make sure your dont use up over 2GB per month.
That should be plenty of data if you need tethering here and there. It wont replace your home internet connection but when needed to go online and download a few stuff it will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.