Jail Break

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Arien157, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Arien157 macrumors member

Okay so before now I never even considered Jail breaking my iPhone 4. I'm also still not even sure what exactly I can do when I do jail break my phone. So I want some advice, do you think I should do it or not? Please explain why.

2. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

yay!

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Read first! Please use the appropriate forum or subforum

To help other users find the iPad threads they are looking for, please choose the most appropriate forum for your new thread.
    Use iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting for troubleshooting and problem-solving. This forum is new and we hope you'll take advantage of it.
    Use iPad Accessories for cases, gadgets you connect, etc.
    Use iPad Hacks for jailbreaking and customization.
    Use iPad Launch Meetups for iPad events.
    Use iPad Apps for iPad applications.
    Use the main iPad forum for other iPad topics: features, opinions, ideas, speculation, iOS discussion, and so on.
    Thanks!

4. Arien157 thread starter macrumors member

My bad. I figured since I was on iOS 5 I would ask here.

5. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

6. Malus Deus macrumors member

There isn't a jailbreak for IOS 5 yet anyways.

7. geiswiz macrumors newbie

Yes there is. I jailbroke my IP4 yesterday immediately after I updated to iOS 5.

8. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Yes there is, lol.

9. Malus Deus macrumors member

10. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Tethered for now. I'm still waiting for untethered jailbreak for my 3GS. I think I only want to jailbreak just for my past sms data since I restored my phone as new. And I don't think I can live without sbsettings and 3G Unrestrictor :)

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

iPad? I thought he was talking about the iPhone...

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

13. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Sorry for the iPad reference. The iPhone also has a Hack Forum.

14. tygrubb macrumors regular

Technically, there is a JB for iOS 5 on all/most devices running iOS 5 (except the 4S, of course). It a tethered JB, though, meaning you have to plug the device into your computer every time you reboot the device. That and most of the software you'd want to use might not be updated for iOS 5 yet.

Previously, people would jailbreak for functionality like:
    * copy/paste
    * wireless iTunes sync
    * using the volume-up button as a shutter for the camera
    * wallpaper/theming
    * install custom ring/text tones and notification sounds
    * Spotlight-like search
    * enhanced notifications (banners and on the lock screen)
    * enable numerical battery percentage indicator
    * blacklisting/blocking specific contacts
    * quick-access utilities to switch services like WiFi and bluetooth on and off
    * make the multitask bar rotate in landscape mode on non-iPad devices
    * lock screen rotation in landscape mode
    * ad-block for Safari
    * download regular files with Safari, like on a regular computer
    * access and use the filesystem directly, like on a regular computer
    * access a command line shell and use UNIX utilities, like on a regular computer
    * remotely display and access the iPhone screen on another computer
    * add widgets to the lock screen or home screen, like Android
    * use a finger-swipe pattern to unlock instead of a passcode, like Android
    * unlock the iPhone for use on other carriers

...among many other things, that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

A good portion of that list had now been made moot, as Apple has taken many of those ideas and implemented them into iOS proper through either outright copying (remember, Steve said he was shameless about stealing ideas and implementing them his way) or hiring the original developer (as in the case with the new notifications).

We still can't theme (look at what things like WinterBoard and DreamBoard can do), block numbers (iBlacklist), or quickly toggle services natively (SBSettings)....but maybe someday, or maybe never. Until then, there's the jailbreak for you. The sky's the limit when your phone is not longer restricted. With that freedom comes risks, of course, and generally you should be technically savvy in order effectively use and troubleshoot a jailbroken installation.

I personally intend to jailbreak in order to use SBSettings, which lets you quickly toggle services like WiFi and bluetooth on and off without having to dig through menus. Having been used to it since 3.x days, I'm finding it rather hard to live without. :)

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Man that ^ ^ is a great post. I do miss a few of the finer points of being jailbroken but won't be breaking out of iOS 5 until an untethered version has been released and tested for a couple weeks by the real tech geeks. I'm only a follower..:eek:

But more than anything, I misss my themed icons and ability to position apps where I want them on the homescreen instead of left to right top to bottom. And the SBSettings, of course. At least the new features in OS 5 have kept me entertained, not regretting the update for sure!

OP, you better do a little more research or you may find yourself in over your head quickly with a buggy phone and angry attitude.. unless you like to break and repair stuff that already worked just fine already. ;)

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

haha it's alright :)

17. Arien157 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the post!