General Jail breakers...how is your battery life?

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I think I've finally convinced myself of jail breaking my 5S. I know in the past it's reduced my battery life quite a bit. How are your experiences with it? I already have crappy battery life so I don't want to do it if it reduces it significantly.

Cheers.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I think I've finally convinced myself of jail breaking my 5S. I know in the past it's reduced my battery life quite a bit. How are your experiences with it? I already have crappy battery life so I don't want to do it if it reduces it significantly.

Cheers.
The jailbreak itself shouldn't affect your battery life at all. However its the tweaks you install that you need to be careful of, for example activator and winterboard will eat up your battery. So while others don't experience battery drops, you might if you try to do too much.

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
My battery life on my 5s is great as it was before I jailbroke.

Don't install every tweak going and you'll be fine

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2011
the battery on my 5s after jailbreak is terrible. it decreases at an alarming rate. used it for an hour and the battery fell down from 100% to 81%. i am thinking of restoring it and not jailbreaking it again.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
the battery on my 5s after jailbreak is terrible. it decreases at an alarming rate. used it for an hour and the battery fell down from 100% to 81%. i am thinking of restoring it and not jailbreaking it again.
You must have installed a theme or something similar. Try finding out the stale process using your CPU via 'top'.

Trevornewell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Canada
I find little difference in my 5s battery life at all. Now if you install some battery loving tweaks then you can expect faster drain on ur battery.

But you don't see a lot of people complaining about battery life here.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
My battery life isn't great because I've installed loads of stuff, some of it battery intensive no doubt. I don't particularly care though, I always have an external battery pack with me. :)

uisim151

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2013
Milky Way, planet Earth
Only slightly worse MAYBE after either winterboard icons or iwidget but I do not see how changing icons can impact it, probably its my imagination thinking that mostly.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It's not as good as stock, but there's a whole lot more use for the device now, so it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Anyone who tells you jailbreaking and installing tweaks won't lessen your battery life doesn't know what they're talking about. But those who say it kills the battery and makes the device unusable are also clueless as to how to properly manage the tweaks used.

Bottom line. Your battery won't be as good as stock, but then again you'll have access to a wealth of new tweaks to offset the usefulness of the device.

becast

macrumors member
May 8, 2013
The battery life of my 5S was great after jailbreak but 3 days ago after I installed Springtomize 3 I noticed a difference in battery life.

Since I installed springtomize my Iphone 5S does discharge faster.

Before I installed springtomize and left my iphone overnight without use in 89% the next morning would be at 88%. Now, after I installed it, if I leave it in 89% the next morning would be at 77%.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
My 5 is fine, but my iPad 2 was draining quickly. I restored it and will leave it stock. Most of the iPad tweaks were not updated anyway.

dmick89

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2013
IPad 3 with only Winterboard and Ayecon is awful, but pretty good on the iphone 5s and I have about 15 tweaks installed. Still get through the day and that's all I care about. There is some drain, but it's acceptable for my needs. It may not be for yours.

Trevornewell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Canada
I put my phone on charge all night. I take it off when I leave in the morning. I do some chatting 15-20 min average. Some browsing safari, Facebook and Twitter. 20 txts more or less 3 or 4 with pictures. Check chive then the weather for the next day or so. After all that and it has been 13 hours not charging and I have %20 left.
And screen brightness is at about 1/4 bright.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Mines actually better than before, but it's more likely due to the restore I did prior to the jailbreak than the jailbreak itself.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010

Cheers.
Here are some great battery drainers:

1. Haptic Pro
2. FaceOff7
3. Vibration, or Always On enabled on Virtual Home
4. Not Winterboard but certain Winterboard themes
5. Veency (I almost never use it unless my device is plugged in, which is okay since I only use Veency at home/work)

Here are some good battery savers, depending on how you use them:

1. Dimmer
2. Activator (for auto-deactivating switches based on events or gestures)
3. SBProfiles

Your experience may vary.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Here are some great battery drainers:

1. Haptic Pro
2. FaceOff7
3. Vibration, or Always On enabled on Virtual Home
4. Not Winterboard but certain Winterboard themes
5. Veency (I almost never use it unless my device is plugged in, which is okay since I only use Veency at home/work)

Here are some good battery savers, depending on how you use them:

1. Dimmer
2. Activator (for auto-deactivating switches based on events or gestures)
3. SBProfiles

Your experience may vary.
Thank you all for your responses!

MastahRiz, have you tried BatterySafe? What do you think?

icebergx

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Does using Battery doctor pro make much difference? That's got a lot of power saving feature included, I'm just not sure that the app itself uses more battery, itself!

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
My battery life on my ip5 was better when I was still jb on io6. Once I upgraded to io7 before even jailbreaking I noticed it drained faster. My phone is now jb on ios7 and drains even quicker but now for a good reason. One of those give and takes.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2011
You must have installed a theme or something similar. Try finding out the stale process using your CPU via 'top'.
havent installed any theme. the tweaks installed are as follows

Activator
BioLockDown
CCToggles
SubtleLock
Virtual Home
Zepplin

thats it.