Jail breaking benefits?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Wilunleashed, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Wilunleashed macrumors newbie

Okay so I am totally new to Iphone. I just got the Iphone 4, and I know we have a zillion threads about Jail breaking, and I'm sorry if this has been asked and covered, but I wanted to know what are the huge benefits to jail breaking? I see changing the whole look of your phone is one, and downloading apps that Apple doesn't approve and Facetime using 3G are all pluses. Though, I don't know anyone now who uses Facetime that I would talk too. So what are the other benefits?

Also, being new to it all, if I jail break, does that mean any other future apple updates which may fix bugs or improve the phone is not possible unless I forgo the jail breaking? Furthermore, will I be able to use Itunes to sync my Iphone still, by adding music and videos? Also, when charging, I usually sync with my Mac, so will I have to stop doing that or set some setting to keep it from updating my iphone??

Again, I am sorry if this has all been covered, but the questions I asked, I have never seen answered or I missed the answer somewhere?

Thanks in advance for those who are willing to help a fellow (new) Iphone user.

2. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

As you already know, the answers are posted in the forums. Try Searching next time.
    Here are a few to get you started :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984386
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983536

3. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you could try searching. Googling "Best Jailbreak Apps" would probably return something useful. However, the big reasons most people here would probably agree on are:

MyWi - Turns your phone into a wireless hotspot.

SBSettings - Gives you quick access to many commonly used settings that otherwise are hidden deep in Apple's "Settings" GUI.

BiteSMS - Much-improved messaging App.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The "Benefits' of jailbreaking are different form one person to another one.

start asking yourself? are you completely happy with your stock phone? it does everything you need it to do? if the answer is yes, Jailbreaking will only bring headaches to you.

Now if your answer is NO, then follow up. Ask yourself, what else would you like the phone to do for you? search Google, bing and the forums for App that can do that. Maybe those app are in the app store, maybe even for free... then you don't need jailbreak.

However there is a chance that you want to do something Apple or AT&T doesn't allow you to do, them welcome to Jailbreaking.

Do a lot of reading, understand how the App works and them go for it.

Personally this is why i do it.

I want to have custom ringtones for SMS and Email, I cannot live without SBsettings which in turn allow me to have even better battery life (since i can enable/disable pretty much anything with one click). I can leave my External HD at home since I got 6GB available on my pocket and i can use it as USB HD.

I am playing my old GBA roms which I love (Mario 3, zelda), SMS quick reply is also a must for me.

Being able to storage, email and view any type of file (besides stocks PDF, and office, i can Email, databases, zips, gzips, xmls, png, etc).

good luck, and if you have more question, just do a quick search and you'll find tone of info, if you can't find it come back and ask, someone will point you the right direction.

5. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Which program do you use ?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As client on my mac I use iPhoneBrowser and iPhone explorer, In the phone you don't need anything as soon as you are jailbreak you can create Folder directly to the file system in the phone

7. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

So you can go between windows and Mac ? (I have a windows PC at work :( )

edit : I am trying now and it wont give access to write on the PC... (jailbroken)

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I'm sure you can, to the computer it is nothing more than a External hardrive, you may need a client - not sure which one is available for windows, I ma sure google can help you there - (Windows won't just mounted it since it is not a Native windows file system)

Edit: Iphone Explorer work in windows too - http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

9. Wilunleashed thread starter macrumors newbie

Look, there is no reason to be rude to my response. Not all the questions I asked are addressed... and yes, I searched, but I'm new to this and I don't appreciate you taking this tone with me. Instead of taking so much time, quoting me, and highlighting in red your smart ass answers, you could have easily taken the time to answer my questions with your personal perspective on the benefits. And no, I have yet to find a definitive thread here to outline the real benefits to jail breaking my iphone.

And thank you to Maturola for actually answering the thread. The thing is that I'm new to all of this, so I am not sure what I should expect out of my Iphone. I love it "as is", but I just wanted to know if there is so much more that would benefit me?

Quick question, I have tethering on my Iphone. I pay the ridiculous $25, but may just drop it, but will jail breaking allow me to do this for free other than the data usage I'll be using and have to pay for??

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well, Free is relative, yes there are way to do it for free, but they are somehow complex for beginners, the best options are at one time payment (which I don't think it will be an issue with you since you already paid for the AT&T tethering)

My recommendation is go get MyWi from Rock, that app cost $20 (only one time) and it will make your iphone into a mobile hotspot, them you can tether your Laptop and your iPad as well (if you have one or are thinking to get one, don;t need to get the 3G, save the money and get the WIFi one and use your exiting plan)

Very easy to use, you can also connect several devices at once, you can use it only in laptop is that what you want using the USB cable.

Well worth the $20

PDAnet is also another one but I haven't personally use that one.

note: keep in mind that you will be using your exiting data cap (2GB i suppose) and tethereing your laptop can add up real quick. but you are already using the official one so you should be familiar with this

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah if you have doubts that is could be more out there them just go for it, the worst that can happen is that you need to reload your firmware and back to stock.

I'll say go for it, play with it, don;t be afraid to reload your FW a few times until you get it right where you want it, I remember back when the original JB came out, I must have loaded my phone like 10 times (nowadays stuff is a lot more stable :cool:)

12. alejovh1 macrumors regular

13. Wilunleashed thread starter macrumors newbie

So I can bypass the monthly $25 fee for tethering if I use MYWI?? And I'll need to jailbreak to use this application? And yes, I have 2 GB. Though, I didn't use enough data this first month, so I am thinking of lowering it to 200 MB. I simply want the option of tethering if my internet provider is down or if I need to tether a device/laptop elsewhere as well. I just can't justify paying $25 for something that I may not use very often.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes (no need for official AT&T tethering) and Yes (you need to be jailbroken to install and buy this App).

If you are going to tether, i would sugest staying on the 2G, as i said it can add up real quick, however you ca downgrade to 200MB if ou usage was low and upgrade to the 2G when you know you are going to use it (like if you going in a trip or something)

15. Wilunleashed thread starter macrumors newbie

Much thanks. And I agree to sticking to 2GB for the time being.

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

The biggest thing I was looking for is custom SMS sounds, which Apple seems to not want to implement. I also like to be able to develop my own Applications and be able to put them on the device. I don't spend much time on it, and it wouldn't be worth $99 a year to me to pay Apple.

17. whistler222 macrumors 6502

+1 - what program do you use?

18. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Thanks for the reply. I found that app via google too, but I couldn't get it to work.. Not sure if you need itunes installed on the PC too or not.

Anyway I was looking for a way you could use it so that you dont need a client on the computer, so you can go to your friends house and easily drag and drop.