Jail Breaking Phone - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by djRuffian, Jan 31, 2009.

1. djRuffian macrumors newbie

Ok, so far i haven't jail broken my phone but i have thought about it, but i want to know what will i get out of doing it?

Ive asked someone and there only explanation was "its good if your a developer, but nothing much else"

Surely, there is something more to it, what can i do if i jailbreak the phone?

(I am running 2.2.1 firmware, but i use a plan, so no need to unlock).

2. jaxonkohne macrumors member

i wouldn't recomend it.. not only does it void warranty. but ive had bad experiences with jailbroken ipod touch.. which is a very similar concept... its very glitchy... it doesn't have the same feel as the apple software.. i didnt liek it...but it is truly a personal preference.. it does open a lot of doors and can be really fun... and yes if you are a developer it has its advantages... but i wouldn't recomend it

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Look at all those results... :p

It may end up with you being refused service in some shops, but a quick restore and you've got your warranty back. What bad experiences? What firmware? Maybe you just downloaded too mcuh crap. It's not glitchy, it's basicly the exact same until you start adding stuff. It has the exact same feel as Apple firmware/software, it's just your horrid theme that made it feel different :p

Well I do like it. It certainly is worth it. It's not just developers it gives advantages to, what if you want copy and paste? I will continue to Jailbreak until Apple get rid of their rotten core and give us what they promised so long ago. :)

** Slight forum glitch whilst editing, said 'Vote Now' instead of 'Save' ** Never mind, back to normal. :p

4. djRuffian thread starter macrumors newbie

Asking is easier than searching.

Anyway, those results dont actually tell me what i can get if i jailbreak the phone.

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Searching is easier than asking. You get instant results, no need to wait. You get information and can make your own conclusions based on that information. :)

Personally, I like it for the stuff I need to do. If you want to customize your iPhone (wallpapers, sounds, icons, etc) then Jailbreaking is your only option. In addition to that, I am a grad student in forensic computing so having the ability to do what I ant on the device greatly helps my work. :)

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Asking without searching the 100000000 threads on the subject is nothing but selfishness.

:rolleyes:

7. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

You can get alot of things. Landscape SMS, tethering, custom springboard, Copy/Paste and so much more.

8. djRuffian thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest, i dont really have a need to change my wallpapers/icons etc, but i have been recently looking at a few other features that seem pretty decent, for example, i guess having a NES Emulator and a few classic ROMS (Super Mario Brothers, etc) on there might be nice.

But also functions like COPY & PASTE which i heard is possible, having a video camera, letting programs run in the background, and this CYDIA which im not 100% sure what it does, these functions may prove a benefit.
    These are all possible with a jail broken phone?

9. XTÜch tHe gOdX macrumors newbie

XTÜch tHe gOdX

Hey...there's one thing you left out... jailbreaking it makes it so you can download apps...obviously. BUT Apple is not (1) scamming the sh*t out of you and (2) the apps can do things that Apple does not approve of. It fixes some wrinkles Apple does not have time to smooth out, and can give you greater customization for your iPod. And while there are several glitches (one major one i have fallen victim to, aptbackup!), It clearly explains what you should not do. And if you don't like it, then restore it. Just make sure to look at the nice button called More Information before you go on a downloading spree.

10. deadsouls macrumors regular

dont bother jailbreaking. all its going to lead to is you coming back here to ask more dumb ass questions you could easily find out on your own.

11. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

oh no don't do it! jb is only for people that willing to search. and congratulation you're post #1000000000th of the same subject!

12. djRuffian thread starter macrumors newbie

13. djRuffian thread starter macrumors newbie

You know this jail breaking...if i jail break the phone and install this CYDIA program, am i able to download official and unofficial games for free?

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

In the 5 hours between when you asked your question and now, you could have jailbroken, decided it wasn't worth it, and then restored your phone. Or, you could have decided that it was pretty cool, and spent the last 5 hours playing with the different apps and stuff.

The truth is, only you can decide if it is worth it you, and the best way to do that is to jailbreak it. I think everyone should try it once.

15. deadsouls macrumors regular

no you cant.

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Another lazy newbie.

If I tell you jb isn't worth it, will you go away?

17. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

I agree, IMO it causes crashes, vulnerabilities and lag that will drive you crazy. People will say "there's no lag" ..........Well, you'll see for yourself if you JB.

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Nice!

This place is riddled with comedians!

If you're a fool.

19. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I don't get it... :confused:

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

He's making fun of the whiners who are telling him to search instead of asking.

I like it.

21. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

Maybe the fools are the one's that are to silly to not notice the lag?

22. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I just finished going to 2.2.1 and the phone was pretty darn snappy. then I jail borke and I ddn't notice any cahnges in the speed. Then I installed all my themes and customizations and it was slower.

So in my experieince in the last 6 months jail breaking doesn't affect the performance (noticably anyway maybe some can notice things down to 1/100 of a second) its the mods and backgrounds cause the lag. Jail breaking just gives you the outlet to customize but should be to blame.

You can jailbreak withought running winterboard.

And yes I agree use SEARCH feature provided

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or the ones who mess up their firmware install and cause the lag, as I've run my Day One jailbroken iPhone against the display 3Gs at Best Buy and been right on par.

24. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I would have been so disappointed if the Lag Troll hadn't posted in this thread.