Jailbrake -What Features for Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iserian, May 1, 2010.

1. iserian macrumors 6502

What features are we expecting from the Jailbrake?

IE - What are we going to be able to do with the Ipad that we are not able to do now?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I guess the majority will do some form of multi-task.

A lot will use the custom theme's available, though how these will work on the ipad we have to wait and see.

Others will use the jailbreak to install a load of pirated ipad apps.

I just want the spirit jailbreak for my 3Gs iPhone so I can get mifi. Not interested in much of anything else.

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Kirikae+Backgrounder is going to save the iPad :) Well, not so much save it, I guess just make it 400% better

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Mifi, backgrounder, and themes. And it's jailbreak.

5. gillybean macrumors 6502a

You'll be able to turn your iPad into a Wi-Fi hotspot with lots of battery life, you'll be able to bypass all the restrictions on what can be streamed to the iPad over 3g, and you'll be able to dual-boot into it to run Windows 7 or OS X and all their applications.

6. vertigo78 macrumors regular

I have a wifi ipad but a lot of you 3g users will find 3g unrestrictor useful. Since we're already seeing skype, netflix, and abc blocked on 3g.

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Run Windows or OS X? Where are you coming up with that?

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, where the sun doesn't shine

9. ellenm macrumors member

ellenm

In addition to what has been written I would use categories and sbsettings also lock info for lock screen. Probably more but that's off the tip of my head.

10. JReynolds macrumors 6502

SBSettings
    Yourtube
    SafariDownLoader
    iFile
    NES SNES (nintendo games)

MULTITASK with proswitcher hopefully.

11. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

+1

12. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I think this is the third time I've posted this in reply to posts asking the same question in the last 24 hours but: it will also open extensive customization such as themes/skins/etc.

But the bottom line is, if you don't want to jb, no one is going to force you at gunpoint. It's completely your call.

13. mymacrumorse macrumors member

May no jailbreak?..

I have jail broken every single iphone of mine and I have come to a stage where I can't live without it. But a part of me makes me not want to jailbreaks and make the device slow and sluggish like my iPhone. But that just me. I really adore the device for what apple has done.

14. p-rice macrumors regular

The most important features I want from a jailbreak are:

Backgrounder
    SBSettings
    Resupported (enables cheap 3rd party AV output cables)
    3g Unrestrictor
    iFile (an actual file system app)

15. Klimer macrumors newbie

I will JB my iPad cause I hope that developers from my country will introduce Polish language dictionary (like iPhone has), and there is one character missing for my language - it's "ą" (don't know if it shows correctly for you).

What's more for me? Maybe SBSettings, but nothing more, cause I dont want to slow it down!

16. iserian thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice - I like all of the features but do not want to end up with a sluggish pad.

17. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

^^^Exactly! No way am I just going to blindly jailbreak my iPad without waiting first to read about other peoples experiences good and bad.

18. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Constant video output through the VGA adapter.

19. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

you can always just reformat it back in itunes...worth a shot?

20. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

With that said, jailbreaking is not for you. You should ignore any future threads concerning JB.

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

They can use the same linux hack on the iphone that runs android on the ipad to run win or osx

22. p-rice macrumors regular

It's not that simple. Linux/Android are possible because they can run on ARM processors. We will never see Windows run natively on an iPad, ever.

23. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Jailbreak actually seems quite unimportant to me on the iPad, particularly the Wifi one, compared to the iPhone. I would use it for the inevitable ability to have more columns of icons on the springboard, which is sorely needed, and Categories until OS 4.0 comes out which is probably towards the end of the year as they seem to be prioritising the iPhone. Those are two pretty important features if you have a lot of apps - albeit not essential.

Bluetooth file transfer isn't that big a deal either, again that's more likely to be required out and about with the phone sharing things with friends etc rather than with the iPad.

Themes would be nice but the interface is not as boring as the iPhone one so it's not that important :)

File system access and AFP sharing are not really important as 99% of the time I used it for easy access to photos/videos or ringtones neither of which are applicable here.

But that's about it really for the Wifi version. The 3G version will benefit from SBSettings for quick access to 3G and GPS on/off toggles and for 3G derestriction etc.

24. iserian thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm... Jailbreak means sluggish Ipad - and you know this how?

25. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm jailbreaking just for Backgrounder. Screw waiting until fall for OS 4 - I want multitasking now! [/Veruca Salt]

Also want to try theming the iPad, I made a nice PipBoy 3000 theme for my iPhone that I would like to scale up to the iPad.