Jailbraking and 4.0

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by msw123307, May 11, 2010.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I've read that no one really knows what will happen with the software update. My question is - couldn't a user just restore to factory settings when 4.0 drops - and then install 4.0 on the fresh install?

If so - what are the options for dealing with the cydia apps? Can you back everything up to install later once a fix is announced?

2. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Just don't upgrade to 4.0. Usually a jailbreak come out pretty quick after. And wasn't there a rumor that 4.0 was already jailbroken?

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

But if a user wanted to do so, couldn't he just do a restore?

I had read that too - but then they came back (gizmodo i think) and said that it was up in the air.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure what you're asking here. Restoring a device puts it back to factory settings, or in case of restoring and upgrading to the latest firmware, puts it into a state as if it came from the factory with the latest firmware installed. So once you restore, no jailbreak. If you want to rejailbreak and reinstall all your jailbreak apps, there are apps in Cydia and Rock that automate that process to varying degrees. You'll of course need to install those JB backup apps and create the backups before you restore the device.

5. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by once you restore, no jailbreak? It seems like you could just jailbreak again by starting the process over at step 1 if the restore really does wipe everything.

i.e. - jailbreak, use apps for a few months. 4.0 comes out - restore to factory settings. jailbreak again when a fix is released. wouldn't this be possible?

6. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yes, but if you want to Unlock your phone (for your use or to sell unlocked) you may forever lose that ability. Make sure you back up your SHSH in Cydia by hitting make my life easier first though. First as in NOW.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I meant once you restore, everything is back to factory settings, and if you want to rejailbreak and reinstall your jailbreak apps, you will have to start over. In your previous posts, you seemed to be asking if your jailbreak apps can be automatically reinstalled after a restore and rejailbreak. The answer to that is not really, but there are workarounds. But they are a bit complicated, so if that's not what you were asking, I won't get into that here.

But basically, when an update is released, you have a choice -- you can restore to the new firmware and live unjailbroken until a new jb is released, or you can choose to not update and live with the old jb firmware until a new jb is released. Which you do is up to you. And there are various considerations that might affect your decision, including, as VividBoarder pointed out, whether you want to preserve an unlock if you have an iphone. Again, complicated! :D

8. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha - I was just wondering in general, referring to jailbreaking, not really unlocking. Sounds like unlocking an iPhone is a more complicated experience.

9. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha - yeah the ability to restore back to previous settings after jailbreak would be nice. Since there are options for that - sounds like it won't really be an issue.

If you waited until a JB version of 4.0 is released, do you just update the phone with a downloaded 'patched' version rather than going through iTunes?

10. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

There's a cydia app called pkgbackup just download it and it basically backs all of them up so when u restore and rejailbreak it will automatically install all ur packages again but not ur sources.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, you update the iphone/ipod/ipad through iTunes, and then you jb it using the latest jb method. The jb developers don't distribute patched versions of firmware that we can download and install, because that infringes Apple's copyright or something.

12. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

Not true that's what pawnage tool does u get official firmware then jailbreak that using their tool to create custom firmware then just alt+click on restore not update. But u also have to tweak iTunes a bit to think it's checking it's servers when it's actually checking Saurik's servers just make sure u save ur hashes with cydia by clicking the "make my life easier" button.:apple:

13. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

But by updating through iTunes to 4.0, won't you lose all your JB apps/settings? Also then won't Apple be able to block you from getting future updates?

14. gigaguy macrumors 65816

wow, usually when Apple upgrades the iPhone firmware they break whatever jailbreak is current. it's a cat and mouse game. so you choose between apple;s official latest firmware and features or your jailbreak with the prior Apple firmware.

15. d00m42 macrumors regular

d00m42

Yeah, but the 4.0 betas have been jailbroken already, and the devs (probably) have more exploits in their bag of tricks than they have revealed to everyone. If they immediately divulged everything that they know, then Apple would just fix every one of those security holes.

I trust the dev team's judgment when it comes to their timing with releasing jailbreaks. Most likely when the next iPad firmware comes out (ex. 3.2.1), it will patch the Spirit jailbreak. Unless it fixes any massive bugs, I won't be updating. by the time 4.0 rolls around for the iPad (next fall), anytime from a few hours after it's released to a few days or maybe weeks, there will be a jailbreak method that works on iPad 4.0.

16. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

But how typically do you upgrade to 4.0 with the JB apps still in tact? If you just plug into iTunes won't you get blocked from future updates and lose all JB settings?

17. The General macrumors 601

no one knows. these things you're asking about haven't happened yet. they're in the future.

18. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well when I said typically I was referring to past FW updates.