Jailbraking I4 with IOS 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jasgg, Dec 14, 2010.

1. jasgg macrumors newbie

Ho to all,

I'm very new at Iphone World, despite the fact I own an MBP.
    After reading several threads I still remain in doubt,
    Is it possible to jailbreak the IOS 4.2.1? if so how? going to the site mentioned on the sticky thread? that says 4.0.1 needed ....but after a new release the jailbreak is gone right.

My I4 is unlocked and I only need to SSH to him, need to try to change some things, like the 'tones' used for incoming messages (Email, SMS).

Also somehow it says that is as almost 60 GB but only gives me 32 GB, is the IOS 4 so BIG?!?

Best regards to u all, and season greetings.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can JB and i4 with 4.2.1 but it will be a tethered JB.
    If you're using it unlocked on an unofficial carrier do not update to 4.2.1 cause you will lose your unlock.
    iphone 4's come in 16GB and 32GB models. I dont know where you get 60GB's from?

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Looks like someone got their hands on the Verizon iPhone already :p

4. jasgg thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it officially unlocked and on an official carrier, which is Vodafone PT.

I think I saw the reference to +- 60GB on Itunes, and it's already on 4.2.1.

Can you clarify 'tethered JB', English is not my 1st language, and tethered (Wikipedia) is the ability to use the phone as modem for other devices. Not my main reason for JB it.

Regards.

5. maturola, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you are on 4.2.1 already and you are carrier unlocked (as you called it Officially unlocked) then you have nothing to worry about as far as Baseband or unlocking goes, all you want is to JB your only option right now is a tethered option using a tool call "redsn0w". Tethered means that everytime you reboot your device you will have to re-run the jailbreaking tool in order to use any of your Jailbreaking apps (in this case redsn0w).

If you want to wait for an untethered tool (so you don't have to connect your device to the computer and run redsn0w over and over) just hang tight, it should be out before xmas. If want to go ahead and JB now, just download Redsnow, connect your device to the computer and follow the screen steps.

Edit: I forgot about the 60GB, I am not really sure what that is, it would be cool if you can post a screenshot, a 60GB iPhones doesn't exits (and I am guessing that is what you mean when you say I4). Even if for some weird reason you got your hand on a weird prototype the amount of memory should be 64MB and not 60.

6. jasgg thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I live in Portugal, EUrope, But can it be a new model?.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you're just mistaken.
    There is no 60GB iphone. Just 16 and 32GB.

8. jasgg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you and I will find about the 60 Something, you must be right, since I cannot find it. Must be something with my eyes, sorry for the confusion.

Regards.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The 60GB might possibly be how much space you have either used or have left over on your macintosh hd hard disk drive. It certainly is not your iPhone.