Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleyeu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
i used to have a jailbreak on my ipod touch 2g from 2.2.1 to 3.0 and i used redsn0w or quickpwn, this method just required me to run the .exe and in 2 mins its jailbroken with cydia installed. simple

now i have 3.1.2 and i want to jailbreak again and im not understanding how to do it. i have seen custom firmware but i dont really want to do that because i have lots of apps and data and music which i cant afford to lose because im not sure if its all backed up properly. i will back it up when its jailbroken (ill ssh and get all the apps and music and data and save it to my computer)

how do i jailbreak 3.1.2 without making a custom firmware beccause im quite consious of spyware and people stealing my stuff.

also backrain apparently doesnt work very well with winter board? im not sure.

tethered jailbreak is any different from the old jailbreak?

can someone tell me how to jailbreak, anything unclear please say...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have jailbroken a 3rd gen Touch with blackra1n and it's been working fine with no problems, winterboard works fine and everything. So I'd give blackra1n a try first. Just make sure to install afc2add from Cydia when you first jailbreak. Then, if you are unhappy with the blackra1n jailbreak for some reason, you can at least get into the file system and backup everything the way you like to do it, then rejailbreak using custom firmware from Pwnage Tool. Not sure what you mean about spyware -- just make sure to get blackra1n from http://blackra1n.com/.

sleyeu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
i meant spyware in the way that, can one of the jailbreak apps or the jailbreak steal my itunes account information and hijack it or use it ect.

im just very scared if it got stolen and my £5 of itunes credit went missing!!! lol

well, ill be adding more money so i dont want my stuff to be stolen :(

i hope you know what i mean.

I jailbroke it with blackrain from blackrain.com it worked... it hasnt given me any problems yet, apart from one crash while using cydia and downloading openssh.

ill back up my stuff with openssh, im just clever like that :)

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
blackra1n takes like 20seconds of your life lol. :p
if it was a keylogger type of deal...im pretty sure they would've stolen all the people who has used it...plus the guy who created it has a good standing reputation in the jailbreaking area...so why worry? :X

jimbo23

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
guys on every tut on that blackrain thing i see its for iphone? will it still work for the touch?

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
when i "make it rain" it puts my 2g touch into recovery mode, then i see geohot, then it looks like it restarting, but just goes back into recovery mode. Im not sure what im doing wrong. any ideas

nevermind it worked

hellenpage

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
faxing online

I am glad to connect my Mac Pc with the fax machine. My telecom company provider is great.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
i used to have a jailbreak on my ipod touch 2g from 2.2.1 to 3.0 and i used redsn0w or quickpwn, this method just required me to run the .exe and in 2 mins its jailbroken with cydia installed. simple

now i have 3.1.2 and i want to jailbreak again and im not understanding how to do it. i have seen custom firmware but i dont really want to do that because i have lots of apps and data and music which i cant afford to lose because im not sure if its all backed up properly. i will back it up when its jailbroken (ill ssh and get all the apps and music and data and save it to my computer)

how do i jailbreak 3.1.2 without making a custom firmware beccause im quite consious of spyware and people stealing my stuff.

also backrain apparently doesnt work very well with winter board? im not sure.

tethered jailbreak is any different from the old jailbreak?

can someone tell me how to jailbreak, anything unclear please say...

iTunes DOES backup ALL your stuff..... even apps! just sync apps /songs and everything else you need with itunes... or just upgrade to 3.1.2 and use blackra1n ...

sapauley21

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Morgantown, WV
So I am sure this question has been answered...and maybe multiple times...but here it

If I jailbreak using blackra1n am I still able to use the apps I have previously purchased on the app store?...I dont want to lose what I have purchased..

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
You shouldnt lose anything...like others have said, just back it up properly before you jailbreak it...seriously, it takes 30seconds...
Go look at some YouTube videos first if you are paranoid about jailbreaking it. That's the best advice.

**Edit: Typo the first time. :/

ipo

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
yeah well

You should lose anything...like others have said, just back it up properly before you jailbreak it...seriously, it takes 30seconds....

Yeah , well not exactly - You lose the ability to restart the device itself - which is well BEYOND annoying ..(because it is a "tethering" "hack")
Right now i'm stuck as many others already at some point of the jailbreak process - which is kinda strange as i have my iPod 2G for over an year now... :confused:

I'mooking

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
like others have said, just back it up properly before you jailbreak it...seriously, it takes 30seconds...
Go look at some YouTube videos first if you are paranoid about jailbreaking it. That's the best advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.