Jailbreak 3G 3.1.3 just to tether?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sprtnbsblplya, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sprtnbsblplya macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 3G v 3.1.3 that I am considering jailbreaking solely to get tethering functionality so I can get internet anywhere with my Macbook Pro or on my netbook.
    I really have no other needs for the jailbreak other than that.
    Does it make sense to go ahead with the jailbreak just to be able to tether to my laptop?

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Yup, jailbreak and get MyWi (No Rock) [it turns your phone into a wireless hotspot, perfect if you have unlimited data]

It's well worth the $10

Thank me later :D

3. sprtnbsblplya thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have a plan that I started over a year ago that has the unlimited data plan for iPhone at $30/month.
    So I don't think I'll have any shortage of data for my phone plan. Plus I'll never use it to watch video or do anything data intensive, just light browing, uploading/downloading assignments and emails.

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Then you're all set :) MyWi also works as a USB to computer tether, however i've only tried it once on my Win7 desktop. Worked, fine, albeit obviously not as fast as my home wifi network ;)
    It was just a test, too

5. sprtnbsblplya thread starter macrumors regular

ngenerator, do you use it successfully serve up some free 3G to the iPad as well? I'm considering doing that when I get one this fall. Just gonna cheap out and get the 16gb Wifi model.

Also, I'm assuming with low usage of tethered 3G ATT will probably never notice?

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Yes

Correct. I've used up to 1.5 gigs in a month without any issues.

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Most definitely (to all above questions);) I'm currently at 7.25GB and have about 7 days left of my cycle. I've gone over 4 to 5GB for the past few months, AT&T won't notice or care. If you're paying for unlimited data, what would they care? That's my reasoning, though.

If they raise a stink and call or email you, just say you stream music daily (I do through the Sirius app and can use about 600-700MB a day at work)

8. tuffgraffix macrumors newbie

help with tethering

just paid th 10 bucks and can only get to itunes,,,how do i get to use the internet?????
    i have 3gs and a macbook..
    my impression of this app was to use ur phone to surf the web,,,,
    please help
    thanx
    jeff