Jailbreak 4.2.1 Untethered?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Wraz, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Wraz macrumors regular

Hey, i've been looking around the forum and youtube, and i can't seem to find any answers if theres a complete jailbreak for iphone 4 4.2.1.
    Right now i'm on a tethered jailbreak, but is it possible to jailbreak it completely? and still ofcourse keep your apps and cydia?

I'm using a Mac if that should have anything to say..

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

not yet, keep checking here when it is available this will be the first place to give you details.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

From Twitter

iCykey Steve Gates
    @ @comex I want a 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak for christmas :p
    7 Dec Favorite Retweet Reply in reply to ↑

@comex
    @iCykey you'll get it.
    7 Dec via web Favorite Retweet Reply

4. acpowman macrumors newbie

If i JB & unlock now via Ipad baseband will i be able to upgrade to the untethered JB when it comes out ?

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not Untethered JB for 4.2.1 released yet, dev team got one almost ready that use the 4.2b3 kernel (you will need to have your 4.2b3 SHSHs saved) that doesn't use any new exploits (so no waste). Also @comex is working on a better version that doesn't required downgrade, he said that it should be here before xmas.

Once you make the change to the iPad Baseband, you are pretty much locked to the pwnage tool, You won't be able to update using anything else but custom firmware, no more itunes, no more restoring to a fresh unjailbroken firmware, bye bye AppleCare, just be aware of that.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're willing to jb again, you can upgrade to the untethered jb. There really isn't such thing as an upgrade, like there is with the iOS.

7. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I am looking forward to the untethered jailbreak, too. I can live with my iPad being tethered, but don't want to roll the dice on my iPhone.

Wes

8. tablo13, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Okay, so I have 4.2b3 SHSH saved, how do I do it? Restore from SHSH in TinyUmbrella?
    EDIT: Looks like I can't even jailbreak it tethered in Redsn0w, have only "install Cydia" checked, tried running as administrator, compatibility mode on XP SP2(I'm on Vista), crashes everytime in the "uploading ramdisk" stage. :mad:

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

that Jailbreak was just demo on a video coules of days ago, not release as right now

10. factory macrumors newbie

I got mine to work untethered. Baseband 6.15, 4.2.1. I think my 3GS might have an older bootrom. I hope I didi it right, it can boot without tethering. Is that the right way??

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If it's old bootrom, it will be an untethered jailbreak. New bootrom, will require a tethered boot if you want Safari and Cydia to work.

12. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

How can we have or 4.2b3 SHSHs saved if 4.2 wasn't publicly released? I have 4.2.1 right now in my phone, Does that mean that I will not be able have a untethered JB?

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Saurik's servers do this automatically for devices that register with Cydia for SHSH blob backups. Launch Cydia and see the list at the top of the screen.

14. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

This is my first time jailbreaking my iPhone 4. Had a 3g and 3gs jailbroken but never my i4. I guess I won't be able to do an unthethered JB, right?

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No, incorrect.

The JB that required the 4.2b3 kernel it is just an "option" that Dev team have under theirs toolbox, it haven't been release and it may not even been release, Comex is working on a cleaner untethered solution that does not required Downgrade. Now he is on heavy testing as right now, so we don;t know where that would lead. Just be patient and wait, They are aware that lot of people will get iP4 for Xmas and an downgrade solution won't be good enough, however there is something they found and it seen to work (for those who can do it)

16. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Are those all from same person? Anyway, they all iPod Touch. And, same devices can be untethered JB on 4.2.1, like 3G, old bootrom 3GS and so on, but as of now, an IP4 can only be tethered JB running 4.2.1.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

YouTube have Iphones5 and iPad3 and 3s, it have people flying, car flying and even a huge Lego ball rolling down San fransisco bay, not everything witha youtube video is real ;)

18. IEngine macrumors newbie

i was baning my head to the wall from those A$$ holes, thanks man