Jailbreak 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Townez, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Townez macrumors newbie

First of all, I'm new. Not to the Mac, but to this forum. I just had a few questions so don't bash me if i'm posting in the wrong section. Jailbroke my iPhone 4 this morning and installed Cydia with no problems. This is the first time I have jailbroke an iOS device since the original iPhone was launched in 2007.

I would really like to take advantage of the jailbreak with customization, etc. I installed WinterBoard and several different themes from Cydia and when I go into WinterBoard to select them & "respring" nothing changes. Can someone with experience shoot me a few tips? Maybe I'm forgetting a step or something?

Cheers!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

you got to make sure that the them is compatible with iOS 4.x a lot of the themes there are not. Some Authors put it on the description other don't, you need to search around and ask away for specifics themes MacThemes forums is a great resource for it

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

4. Townez thread starter macrumors newbie

All the themes that I have downloaded I have researched prior to downloading and all of them have been displayed/advertised via iPhone 4.

Black Chrome Theme.

5. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Says in Cydia it was last updated in 2009
    Prob not compatable

6. Townez thread starter macrumors newbie

But nothing works. Not even the transparent dock or the solid status bar. I've given up and restored my iPhone 4. I'm going to jailbreak it again. Maybe that will work. Fingers crossed

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Are you making sure they are selected in winterboard?
    And at the top of the list

8. Townez thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured everything out. For 4.2.1 I didn't know that I had to reboot my iPhone tethered every time it was required.

9. Cha macrumors regular

Winterboard was never made fully compatible with iOS4. Some aspects work but usually it just takes a few tweaks of CSS or HTML of the different files to get it to work. Make sure the themes you get says that it'll work with the newer OS. If it doesn't, then it probably will have problems.